DSL Filter installation

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JS, Aug 3, 2004.

1. JS

JS United States of America

I'm in the process of installing my dsl setup, the deal is that the main wall telephone outlet is two rooms away from my room and so I run a thin extended telephone wire from there into a power surge protector here in my room and so I have installed the dsl filter/splitter from the surge protector here in my room instead of directly from the wall outlet, is it required that I install the filter from the wall outlet directly?

2. Dustro

Dustro New Member

well is this line only for the modem or is it for a telephone also? the actual modem does not require a filter so if its only for the modem then dont worry about installing one. otherwise i wouldnt worry about if its before or after the surge protector but be prepeared to have issues with the surge protector and the dsl signal, and maybe your "extended" wire...

3. JS

JS United States of America

how about the thin wire from the wall outlet to my room, will it affect dsl speeds or dsl in general escpecially when the phone is being used at the same time since the phone uses that same thin extension cord

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Not unless it is prone to noise for some reason. Like Dusto said, if anything the surge supressor would be most likely to cause a problem. If you have any problems, try removing it from the line first. Most of those telephone line surge supressors that are stuck on powerline surge supressors are worthless anyway.

5. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

Stardard tech support answer:

wall outlet > filter > ..... phone.