Drying

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Dr. Woo, May 29, 2003.

1. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

I know Scott's tip about the low-pressure hose, but apparently my car's wax is almost nonexistent. Should I try this anyway?

Also, if I understand correctly, using a terry cloth beach towel, then finishing the job with microfiber is the best way. My car is jet black, and I can still see water spots sometimes. Should I just go over these with my Quick Detailer?

The last owner of my car obviously didn't treat the paint very well...there are microscopic white dots all over the hood around the grille, and a really shitty touch-up job done on the front bumper. I can't believe I've waited this long to wax the car, but I'm finally doing it. My clay bar will be having a hell of a time tomorrow.

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Yes, dry it just like you said. You can try the low-pressure hose trick, but honestly, it really won't work all that well unless it's been waxed. Also, after you wax it, use the low-pressure hose trick and all you'll need is a MF towel, if the sun doesn't get it first.

3. thats a problem i have. since my car is black and i have no shade to work with, the sun with bake water onto my car before i ever have a chance to get to it :(

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Heres what i do if im in the sun.

I have a water blade, and a MF towel.
    You can seriously haul ass with the water blade. ANd then you the MF towel to get the cracks and crevases. And i can get most all of the water before the sun gets it. I just keep the car wet at all times, and try to stay ahead of the game. Its a tricky balancing act, but it works.

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

How is that a problem. If the sun dries to car before you get a chance to, you have less work to do. I don't understand. :dunno:

6. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

I read this on autotopia is a trick, it should help ya

7. why are you an asshole to me? what did i do to you?

8. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

It'll still leave waterspots regardless, Its happened to me also.

The best thing I can tell you to do is wash your car early...latest at 11, right before the sun gets really bright

i usually wash @ 10 and the paint is still cool

9. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Because if the water is hard, it will leave mineral deposits on the paint that you have to either polish or clay off.

The only time it is alright for the water to dry on the paint after washing is if it is distilled or deionized. Otherwise, you end up with spots.

10. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I don't really ever wash my car outside, there were a few times I did when it was really hot. I didn't have a problem with spotting, though. I think it might be becuase I have a water softener. Also, would a QD take off water spots? Or only clay and polish?

11. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Soft or deionized water normally won't leave any spotting. Very light spots, you may be able to QD, but normally, you need a least a swirl remover to get them off the paint.

12. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

No shit! I guess I should consider myself lucky to have soft water, huh?