Drying in cold weather ??

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Axles Of Evil, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Axles Of Evil

Axles Of Evil New Member

It is about 45 degrees here today, and i need to wash my car. The only thing i hate about washing it when it is this cold out, is that it takes FOREVER to get the damn thing dry with my Chamois. Even with that, it is almost impossible to get it all the way dry

so far i noticed the best way to do it is to push all the water i can off of it from top to bottom etc. then move around the whole thing drying and drying and drying until its done.

I tried using a nice clean bath towel and didn't like the feeling it gave, it felt like there was way too much friction.

anyone have any ideas ?

2. Slider

Slider Resident Lurker OT Supporter

When you rinse the car take the nozzle of your hose and just run it rinsing the roof first working your way to the bottom, you won't have many water droplets this way. For drying I use some microfiber towels since I have a bunch of them that I use for detailing. Here's a nice drying towel: http://www.optimumcarcare.com/towel.html#dry

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Microfiber is your friend but even then, it just takes longer to dry cars, even using ONR when it is cold. That is one of the reasons I despise winter so much.

4. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Oh poor Scottwax he has to work in TX in winter boo fucking hooo!!! :fawk::fawk::fawk:

Come to MN and live a winter here! We are starting to look for jobs in TX to get the hell out of her because of winters.

5. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

or you could just take it for a quick spin and then dry off whatever is left afterwards...

and I'm talking like a trip back from the carwash down the street. I've never had water spots doing it this way, always a clean finish.

6. Axles Of Evil

Axles Of Evil New Member

not around here this time of year, seems like half the houses on my street are getting hardscape done. so there is a lot of dirt ect in the streets.

i was going to try a good microfiber to finish it off, i just wasnt sure if it would ruin the microfiber towels, i have about 5 or 6 of them i use for various product application/removal.

7. Axles Of Evil

Axles Of Evil New Member

i think i am going to give this one a try, i also like the looks of the glass cleaning towel, my interior glass gets really dirty (by my standards) and is a pain in the taint to clean.

8. MP525i

MP525i New Member

winter stinks. i've had moments where i'm drying a car and the water starts to freeze on me. mostly happens in the door jams.

i have two details, one on friday and the other on saturday. the high's for those days are said to only be 39-41. ugh... not looking forward to them.

9. Juztang

Juztang www.obsessivedetail.com

I mainly use ONR to wash with and do a panel at a time. I use 1 towel for the first pass and another to do the final wipe. The water dries easier this way. It is getting pretty cold here now and I hate it.

I use a mitten with a rubber glove over it so my hands don't get cold. It works pretty well.

10. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

QEW when it is 0 and 15mph winds SUCKS :o

Luckily one of my new regulars owns her own business, so she suggested using her warehouse for the winter, heated indoor washing in the winter FTW :run: