SRS Dry Drunks

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by selfpollution, Jul 23, 2005.

1. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

can someone explain the term "dry drunk" to me, like, specifically what behaviors would constitute being a dry drunk?

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

A "dry drunk" is someone who is white knuckling it. This means they have incredible urges to drink, but they simply don't give in for a certain period of time. They are usually rather miserable, pissed off and still loaded with glaring character defects. The behavior could best be described as someone who is pissed off most of the time, and acts like an asshole. They aren't usually too conscious of their rude behavior, but are aware that they really want to drink but they can't, for now.

However, several recovering addicts and alcoholics who have found a solution which lies within the 12 steps of fellowships of NA, AA and others have been lifted of the obsession to drink. Myself included, these people figure out how to live life without the use of drugs or alcohol, and become socially adjusted. I haven't had a serious urge to drink or do drugs in at least 6 months. These 6 months, I've been a pretty nice person, and wouldn't really be classified as a "dry drunk."

3. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Eligh defined it well.
    Simply put, a "dry drunk" is someone who is abstinent but has not "filled the void" with the 12 steps.

"When at the end of the road we can longer go on - either WITH or WITHOUT drugs, we all face the same dilemma - What is there left to do? Either go on to the bitter end... or find a new way to live..."

4. The Wild Child

The Wild Child New Member

Somehow I think I can claim people are wrong with no evidence or explanation, but in my opinion, a dry drunk is someone who has abused alcohol to the point of brain damage. They are 'dried out', ie. detoxified, yet they still appear to be drunk. They have tremors, poor balance and tend to slur and sound as though they are drunk.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2005
  5. rhiannon

rhiannon New Member

A dry drunk is some1 who has stopped drinking, but hasn't learned to "act" rather than "react"! In other words...they never fully worked the 12-step program!

6. kitty

kitty Uppity ass cat OT Supporter

WoW! I wanted to start a thread about this topic but wasn't sure how well known the term was. May I hi-jack/add-on to this one? If a Mod or anyone else would like to seperate them please feel free.

o.k. here's my question/rant ~ if I have to spend time around dry drunks, I get really pissed off! I let it affect me:hs: One reason it may effect me so much.... my Grandfather is a dry drunk, and now my father. I must still have unresolved anger not just at their behavior but not being able to "change" them..to "make" them want to work the steps and at myself.

All of this I can understand on the grand scale, but it's the daily constant spew of negative, hateful, attempts at manipulation I can't take. All my years of hard work...and I allow a dry drunk to control my serenity. Grrrrr....

Anyone have the same problem? What has worked for you?:hs: