WEB Drupal vs. Joomla v.kingtoadschoolme

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hurleyint1386, Jan 29, 2009.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Looking into learning one of the CMS's. I know I'll hear King Toad chime in when someone finds the Batman Toad sign and tell me why Drupal is better haha. Just curious what makes it better. I was told it's a bit heavy, but just though I'd ask.

2. hurleyint1386

By the way...

[​IMG]

3. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

drupal end thread, king toad will kill you in your sleep, rape you and carve drupal into your forehead if you choose anything else

4. fishbulb

fishbulb Active Member

I really think the deeper you get into Joomla and the more you want to customize, more importantly, you'll see it can become a real mess.
    I think the community is large since there are a fair amount of modules, and it's easy to get into.

5. hurleyint1386

:rofl:

I want to use drupal, I just want to know why drupal is better than other CMSs. It's a fair question...

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

In my opinion, Drupal is a more customizable and flexible content management framework. However, Joomla is much easier to use, and Drupal can become overwhelming at times.

Although, looking back on #6, I think now Joomla may perform faster than Drupal due to the many hooks and callbacks a users action goes through before rendering a page. There's a whole performance core module that'll assist you on increasing Drupal's performance on your system however.

7. hurleyint1386

Thanks! I'm not necessarily looking or the easiest, I'm looking for the best. It looks like Drupal should be good to go with

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

And yes, I know that post was very sarcastic in defense of Drupal, as I was getting in an e-argument about Joomla vs. Drupal. :hsugh:

9. hurleyint1386

haha that's fine. If they are facts, they are facts.

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

The presentation layer in Drupal seems to be getting better through just about every version, and is learning more towards writing less code so designers can implement their Drupal themes.

The last three Drupal sites I've done on Drupal 6 I didn't have to write a single theme override. However, the sites I've built on Drupal 5 had hundreds of lines of code for theme overrides in template.php

One of the glorious features I really like in Drupal is the ability to override core functions with your own. Every function responsible for output in the Drupal core are called theme functions. You can create your own theme functions that override the cores functions to provide your desired result. Part of the reason that makes the theme layer so customizable. One of the many problems with other CMS's is modifying the look and feel of third party modules is almost impossible without modifying the code of the module. The presentation of any third party drupal module is customizable due to it being passed through the presentation layer. Drupal also has a feature known as the alter functions. These alter functions allow you to hook your code directly into the core of Drupal or ANY module and modify it without touching their code.

Here's a list of all themeable functions in Drupal that you can override with your own:
    http://api.drupal.org/api/group/themeable/6

A list of all alter functions:
    http://api.drupal.org/api/search/6/alter

11. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I do believe a lot of programmers do however prefer Joomla because Joomla is based on a framework that relies on the MVC design pattern. It's a design pattern that most frameworks these days utilize and has become quite popular. Drupal doesn't use MVC, but it does use the PAC architecture, which will still provide the goals most MVC developers require.

Much like PHP itself, Drupal code does kind of get a bad reputation because a couple early module developers actually code their markup within the module itself, they see this, and get discouraged because they think it's how you're supposed to develop modules. It's not true, much like MVC based frameworks, Zend specifically, you don't have to utilize the MVC framework if you don't want to, and that's the same philosophy Drupal goes by. All though for the sake of dividing presentation with your code, Drupal provides some very nice hook functions that'll allow you to output your data to a specified template.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presentation-abstraction-control

12. geekierthanyou

geekierthanyou Crews: DSLR, Brolie, Classic Car, Gun, Zombie, Pro

Are you stuck on PHP based solutions?

13. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

ive been wanting to get into drupal for a while, but have no new projects to use it on :(

14. hurleyint1386

I do prefer it. I'm always up for new things, though (but not ASP[.NET]). This place where I'm working wants to try and do the latest and greatest. We want to make sure we are staying on top of things. We were considering looking into something with RoR, but we still like PHP.

15. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I would even still consider Drupal having more flexibility and customization than DotNetNuke.

16. geekierthanyou

geekierthanyou Crews: DSLR, Brolie, Classic Car, Gun, Zombie, Pro

I only ask because I work for Liferay (http://www.liferay.com) which is a 100% free open source CMS/Web Portal... so if you are considering a fully customizable solution and java is an option, give it a look over. This isn't an advertisement, and we don't make a penny off you!