WEB Drupal question.. public node submissions..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Insert Tokens, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

Drupal question.. public submissions.. (possible paypal reward)

Idea is pretty simple..

I want the public to be able to submit to a custom content type.

I want:
    - Title (easy, already there)
    - Body (as above)
    - A few choices/checkboxes/pulldowns (easy with cck)
    - Multiple upload boxes for images (that will then show up inline in the node, tried using default attachment option but it's one at a time, and shows up as a link)
    - Recaptcha or email validation or something to stop spam.
    - When submitted, doesn't get published until admin approves.

The rest apart from the above, I can figure out myself.. I want to list latest 5 approved submissions, add ratings, etc etc.. I can do all that using existing modules out there. It's just the above bit to get multilpe attachments, spam protection, and admin approval i'm stuck with.

I tried using CCK + making the submissions to that node public, it doesn't work and it's messy (gives errors when unauthenticated user submits, works when admin submits, etc)..

If anyone can guide me with this.. would be appreciated!

If someone can guide me through the whole thing to get it working, will paypal some cash to you ($50?)..

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. Insert Tokens

Edited, and paypal reward if someone can guide me through it! I'm ok with drupal, just never dug into custom content types and admin approval of nodes etc..

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Take a look into your user permissions and make sure that anonymous users are able to access your custom node type. If they are, everything should fall into place appropriately. As for adding additional fields, yes, CCK is very messy. You're better off developing your own custom node type module using Forms API. But if you're not a coder, CCK can get the job done. It will just take some challenges.

4. Insert Tokens

I've gone through the permissions multiple times.. it's very weird what happens..

Anonymous -does- have access to create the custom node, plus access to the upload module (then size/extensions are locked in via the upload module settings)..

When a registered member goes "create node", it works fine.

The link to create node shows up to anonymous, they can attach the images to the node, but when you hit submit, it diverts to the new node's URL but you see a standard drupal "Page not found" error.

The content IS in the database if you look through mysql, BUT if you look through "manage content" there's nothing there.

So it's like something crashes at it submits the node, and the creation of the node never gets completed. There's nothing in the logs either.

I will look into the Forms API though.. thanks for that. I do hate wrestling with CCK, and since this is going to be a site with a single purpose, CCK seems like overkill.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009