SRS drug triggers for bipolar disorder?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bheld, May 20, 2007.

1. bheld

bheld I'm paying you with your own money...

I posted this in the asylum as well, but I think people in here might be better suited to dispense good advice. anyway...

somebody close to me is exhibiting classic signs of a manic episode, and I'm wondering if drug use could have triggered it. this particular person has used (as far as I know) ecstacy, crack, salvia, and pot within the past two months. this is the first manic episode I know of, but there have been previous bouts with depression, although nothing was done about it and another person I know only learned about it after the fact.

so basically I'm really concerned right now and wondering if this manic episode is caused by drugs, bipolar disorder, or a combination of both. It's so consistent that I can't see how it would be a direct result of drug use because this person wakes up in the morning ranting and raving about this and that.

does anybody have any experience with getting somebody treatment for bipolar disorder? I don't really want to have this person committed but it seems like it's a futile task to get somebody having a manic episode to admit there is something wrong.

2. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

in my experience, most therapists will hesitate to make any sort of diagnosis when the person has been under the influence of drugs, particularly drugs like LSD and methamphetamines, until they have been drug free for a year. Hell, meth produces mania, thats its high, so to speak. Extremem happiness, activity, hyperactivity, nervousness, paranoia, etc. LSD causes temporary schizophrenia, i mean its virtually impossible to predict.