SRS drug triggers for bipolar disorder?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bheld, May 20, 2007.

1. bheld

bheld I'm paying you with your own money...

somebody close to me is exhibiting classic signs of a manic episode, and I'm wondering if drug use could have triggered it. this particular person has used (as far as I know) ecstacy, crack, salvia, and pot within the past two months. this is the first manic episode I know of, but there have been previous bouts with depression, although nothing was done about it and another person I know only learned about it after the fact.

so basically I'm really concerned right now and wondering if this manic episode is caused by drugs, bipolar disorder, or a combination of both. It's so consistent that I can't see how it would be a direct result of drug use because this person wakes up in the morning ranting and raving about this and that.

does anybody have any experience with getting somebody treatment for bipolar disorder? I don't really want to have this person committed but it seems like it's a futile task to get somebody having a manic episode to admit there is something wrong.

2. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

3. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Many drugs out there can mimic manic episodes. That said, you may not be looking at a bipolar disorder at all, but simply an exogenous condition. Don't assume you're dealing with bipolar because treatment plans vary greatly depending on if you're dealing with depression, drug-induced psychosis/mania, or bipolar disorder.

However, the ultimate cause of presentation of psychopathological conditions is rarely singled out or even recognized. According to the diathesis-stress model, literally any kind of stressor, regardless of severity, can bring about a disorder provided the biological diathesis is present. That said, drug usage such as that could provide the stressor required to bring about a disease in a person prone to developing the disorder.

Additionally, the neuropsychological aftereffects of psychotropic ingestion are vast and varied. I'm not entirely familiar with the ultimate effects of many drugs and I've never heard of mania being an aftereffect or drug usage (but this of course does not rule out the possibility at all...I just haven't heard of it), but hypothetically you could create the neurological conditions associated with bipolar disorder using exogenous chemicals and their tolerance-effects.

All that said, if this person doesn't want help, you can't help them. You will need to go to someone who can directly and forcefully intervene in their life and allow them to make the decision to help them or not. Regardless, your first priority would be getting the condition diagnosed, which would allow for a treatment plan to be formulated. Good luck.