Drug Free Music

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Don Ganja, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Don Ganja

Don Ganja Drunk Driving > *

I'm conducting an experiment on myself to see if I can enjoy music made by sober musicians. This means no alcohol or prescription drugs or illegal drugs. Looking primarily for rock acts, but any genre, any time period is fine.

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Good luck.

Music and drugs are like sex and drugs. Its cool sober but when you're fucked up you can do it 10 times better.

3. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

Youtube Andy McKee.

4. surlybot

surlybot you cool maaaaaaannn?

:rofl: good luck with that.

5. Don Ganja

thanks dude. only need about 49 more to provide an experimentally viable list.

yeah tryin my best lol

6. The band gives an anti-drug message near the end of the video clip of their live performance of "I'm your captain (Closer to home)."

[y]Fkmh7k_lflA[/y]

http://grandfunkrock.com/gfr-filer/mdm9.htm

7. theNine

theNine New Member

I guess you like setting yourself up for failure and disappointment

8. Toology

Toology New Member

Try Metallica and Sublime... Neither of those bands ever drank or did drugs! haha

9. Don Ganja

did a little research and couldn't find anything on their actual use. they seemed to emphasize hard drugs, alcohol and cannabis were not mentioned. do you know any more about them?

10. Don Ganja

well, i've long known that Sublime is drug free - just look at the album art on Second Hand Smoke, but didn't Metallica recently fall into addiction? I've always thought that's why their recent work has sucked.

11. Toology

Toology New Member

^^^troof

12. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

music without drugs would have been boring and not nearly as inventive as it could have been.

13. Toology

Toology New Member

In fact, all you need for this "experiment" is 2 albums...

1) Master of Puppets
    2) Saint Anger

Listen to those 2 albums, and you tell me the effect of booze on music lol.

14. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

st. anger was full of fag and fail. i hated that shit and wished them all dead after hearing it.

15. Before I look into that, which I'd love to do, since research is my profession, are you sure there isn't an agenda behind this "experiment"? [​IMG]

After all, I truly wish that I could have somehow had fun as a young man without drugs. I have more than 25 years now without using drugs.

16. Don Ganja

i was sober until i was about 18. since then, i have become a musician and have devoted my life to it. music defines me. however, it is a strong belief of mine that I would have never found music unless I had expanded my mind so to speak.

But what really bugs me, is that there has been almost no studies related to drugs and music. Most likely, it is because music is a difficult subject in itself and drugs are a difficult subject as well. So, because I have nothing to read up on, I am highly curious.

Music is different for everyone. I am absolutely positive that there are some badass musicians out there that don't alter their mind whatsoever. But I can't think of a band that I rank as one of the best that didn't take intoxicants. I can hardly even name a sober band

17. Don Ganja

goddamn. i dont think that post made any sense. ill comeback tommorow when im not hammerd and make it clearer.

but serioslyu dudes. i really want to know as much as possible about the connection betweens drugts and music. or fuck, psychoactives and art in general.

rock on OT

18. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

What genre?

19. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

20. fathead

fathead New Member

I guess every single straight edge band?

21. You identified very well a specific area of society that really needs some looking into. Like you, I wish there was more info readily available on this. And this kind of thing is really exactly what I love to study, while Sociology is possibly my favorite subject. To tell the truth, what you're asking about is very close to studies I've informally done for many years, mainly through simple observation.

That's a real tough one though, but I'll see what I can do. It may take awhile, because tomorrow's the Super Bowl and all.

What's great too is my story is possibly very similar to yours, because I didn't drink, smoke, or drug until I was in the Air Force at right around my 18th birthday.

Getting high on weed was certainly a great way to enjoy music for me for 5 years, until I decided to move on with my life.

22. :mamoru: Fathead was what I called a very good friend of mine, while I was stationed at F.E. Warren AFB in Cheyenne, WY. :wiggle:

He called me son though, boo.

23. Don Ganja

the more i think about it, the more i am realizing that this is a very tough subject because most bands and musicians don't list on their website what drugs they take or don't take. Andy McKee was fairly easy, it states on wikipedia that he has not touched illegal drugs, however it doesn't mention alcohol which leads me to believe that he does drink. But LOLZILLA suggested tychomusic, and I only have his word that they are substance free as I was unable to confirm this by doing a search.

24. I didn't have to spend much time looking for this stuff anyway. Hope you like it.

Although it doesn't say he always tried to avoid drugs, the fantastic lead singer of AC/DC says that he didn't do them, which is almost the same.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...into-new-book/

In the comment section of that link and article, Michelle says, "Angus has done very few if any drugs other than nicotine and caffiene" for whatever that's worth, and she says, "Music acts these days could stand to learn a few things from AC/DC. You don’t have to be a cokehead or alcohlic to be famous."

I think it's good to pause and consider the ramifications of the possibility that Johnson is telling the truth.

Ganja wanted me to make this about bands that don't drink alcohol either, but I'm not really interested in that topic, so nothing I'll post has anything necessarily to do with drinking.

I want to try hard not to get into any debates about legalization or decriminalization, so if I present some information that does appear to oppose that, it was only to maintain continuity. lol

Just for the record, I oppose decriminalization and legalization, but I support medical marijuana.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2003...hol.popandrock

I checked though they may inspire bands not to use drugs, they weren't free of them, and they "formed Biohazard for the purpose of expressing political viewpoints and discussing problems facing urban youth, which all of the members had experience dealing with themselves...Battling drug and alcohol abuse, inter-band strife, record labels folding, merging and abandoning them for more pop flavors, Biohazard staggered like a champion fighter, but never went down. During these difficult years, Biohazard succeeded in sticking it out together.'

http://www.biohazard.com/biohazard_biography.html

There is a quasi-newscast here about Ted Nugent wanting to be Obama's drug czar. According to this report, "Nugent has allegedly stayed away from drugs and alcohol during his career," and it starts at 3:45 into the video.

[y]hyyaDIUT-ms[/y]

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...hippies-for-divorce-abortion-drugs-and-crime/

Therefore, for this subject of "drug free" rock 'n roll, I believe it will be necessary to examine whatever we can find on the subject, and that'll includes how Rolling Stone says he does "rain on the Summer of Love’s anniversary parade." Anyway, it's not long, so I'll include the whole thing.

But before deciding to read this or just skipping it, people should decide what credibility or relevance Nugent has in the light of his onstage rant, and there's a video of it. I don't think it completely disqualifies him.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...-hillary-clinton-during-vicious-onstage-rant/

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110010291

I would like to try and write some of my personal feelings, musings, etc. on this subject, but I need still to find some real "quiet time" for that.

25. Don Ganja

motherfucking awesome dude. ive decided to take this in another direction. It could take a long time to get a respectable quantity of musicians since I can't devote a whole lot of time to this, but im starting a list of bands and their members. i will list what drugs are taken, and when they were taken (i.e. while playing music, while not playing music, drug use years 1965 - present, drug use 1970 - 1989 sober 1989 to present). References will be listed. Hopefully, in a few years ill have a pretty good list. I might start off by re-reading Motley Crue: The Dirt.