MMA Dropping to Guard?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by CyberEye, Aug 8, 2007.

1. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

We just roll for the last 10 to 15 minutes of every class, usually starting from our knees, switching partners every 2 minutes. Most of the time, I drop onto my back into gaurd. Almost every class, I get at least one guy, wondering why the hell I'm doing it. And the one guy that was helping teach the class today said something about not doing it, since I give up points.

Does anybody else do this? Is it really that big of a deal or should I try to stay away from doing it?

2. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Pulling guard is a legitimate technique. If you know that you're strong from your guard and you're actively working to advance your position from guard, I wouldn't sweat it.

I also don't think that pulling guard causes you to lose any points in any competition I've ever seen.

3. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

It does, depends on the situation. If you are in a nuetral standing position and you jump guard it doesnt count for point when they take it to the ground. If you are being moved backwards or they are attempting a take down and you pull guard, it is considered a takedown for them

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Against someone with much better stand up than me and my take downs are pretty week, jumping guard can be effective.

I won this fight and set the MS record for fastest sub by jumping guard.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=DFPrAETScdA

I do it all the time, I have a good guard. And if you jump guard in a BJJ tourny, they don't get take down points.

5. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

The way they explained it to us at NAGA for the pulling guard rule was that if you are moving backwards and pull guard, it is a takedown. It is only considered not a takedown when you are both standing in a nuetral position

6. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

:werd:

One of the guys at my school does it pretty much every single match he competes in and does pretty damn well.

7. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Never roll from your knees. Its stupid and pointless. Sit back and work your guard or ask your partner to. I hate people that want to have a judo match from the knees, whats the point? Would you ever end up squaring off with an opponent on the knees in a match? Take the opportunity to work on your guard or passing your partners'.