SRS dropping out maybe

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ledzep73, Nov 9, 2005.

1. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Im thinking of taking a few years off from college. I don't have any fun there, I actually ucking dread going to school, and would much rather be at work, sick, car wreck, anything. I just hate it.

I started college classe when I was 16 during the summer, and I could have a 4-year degree by the time Im 21 with ease, but thats just not what I want anymore at all. Im only 17, why in the hell am I rushing to get out of college and into 'the real world,' it just seems stupid to me now. It isn't that the work is hard, its just not what I want to be doing.

I was thinking of just keeping my job I have now for a little bit, and in 7 months when I turn 18 I will probally be made a manager, or as soon as they need oe at one of the stores, and then when Im 20 or 21, go back to college. I don't think there is much wrong with that plan, other than the fact I won't be at college and my family probally will cut off all contact and support for me. I should still be in fucking highschool, not in my 3rd semester at college, this sucks.

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Tough it out. There is nothing I would not give to be in your place. I know it sucks, but you need to look at the good things. Being done with college by 21-22 is an awesome deal. I am very jelous of the people I know that are around 22 and are finishing school, and are getting good jobs, buying nice ass cars and houses and have the money to do what ever they want while im 8 years behind them. Ahhh soo much I could say, but to keep it short...dont do it!

3. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

It sounds good, yeah. Making 60k when Im 22, and driving nice cars living in my own house. Great. I would rather go back to school when I would be there with people that don't look at me like just a little kid, and I can make friends. I don't really want to enter to workforce as a 21 year old kid and working for 50 year old guys, and still having no friends. Im 17, I work full time, I go to school full time, I drive a POS car, I take care of my little sisters because my mother doesn't, it just blows. I want to move away from here and go to school later when things in my life arn't so rough. Other than the money reasons, I don't see any reason not to.

4. isaac86hatch

I know belive me...I did what you did. I dont want to come off as the older guy younger guy BS but...I have to. At 17 you have different needs and wants. At 17 I thought I have my whole life to live, life is short, have fun. Well I did that and now I have nothing to show for it. All my friends I had at 17 are gone, all the money I made working, is gone all the shit is gone. All i have is momories of the struggle of having little to no money, drinking and partying alot. Now at 26 I have finally realized all that shit was fun...but I should have waited! On top of all this I know soo many people that did what you did...dropped out saying "Ill go back in a year or so". BULLSHIT. once you get out in the real world and get an apartment, rack up bills, get into a relationship, get married or have kids...hell you never know whats gonna happen. It makes it next to imposible to go back to school. I'm sorry man...I have been there and back. At 17-18 all the shit like school and other stuff that I thought was hard...was not really. Wait till your out in the real world will bills comming out your ass and all you have time to do is work. Please dont quit man!

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Its hard to stay somewhere that I hate just so one day I will have money. I've never had money in my whole life, and its never been a problem to me. Maybe I will just take a one semester off and the summer off, just so I will be with people closer to my age, and maybe have a little more fun when I go back. I really want to get a college education, but I just don't think now is the right time. There are alot of people at my school that are 25+ and freshmen, so I don't really belive people when they say if you take a year off you wil never go.

6. isaac86hatch

haha...you you only knew the shit I had to do to be able to go back at 26. It was not easy at all.

7. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Considered studying abroad?

8. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

If I could afford that, it woud be soooo fun.

9. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Be careful that you don't get stuck out of college though. Life changes all the time. The rest of your life may not be so great, that doesn't mean that you should make your education the same. You have a great oppurtunity right now to finish your schooling. Don't let that get away from you.
    What about going to college a little farther away from home? ;)

10. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Quoted again just because it's so true!
    I find myself now, at 23, wishing that it would be easier for me to attend college, but it's not. I know that we will struggle trying to make it work, but it's something that I have to do.
    A lot of people probably DO 'go back to school' but I don't think it's anywhere as easy as it would be if they were in your shoes.

11. teo

teo . => ? => !

Maybe mix it up a bit by throwing in a course that has nothing to do with your major. Learn Japanese, or take pottery classes or something.

People are right that going back to school is hard. However, what you're doing now is hard too. I graduated high school with almost double the credits I needed to graduate and started college at 17... but then I burned out at 18. I took a single semester off, re-evaluated what I wanted to do, and switched majors. I ended up graduating "on time" but from a different program and different school. It worked for me, it might work for you too.

12. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

That sounds more like something that I would like to do. Never really thought about changing majors, but just taking a break for a while. A change would be nice.

13. teo

teo . => ? => !

Just make sure you enroll for the following semester right away. Don't leave it to chance and don't leave it until the last minute. Procrastination is the bane to scholastic success.

14. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

I did the same thing you are thinking about. Now I am 30 years old with a wife - bills and making fucking $10hr. Granted I love my job but the pay is sad. Trying to work full time and take classes and study for Computer certs.

I so would give anything to of completed college. Stay in.