Dropping a tooth or 2, need advice

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jujharoo, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

whats up guys, I recently bougth an 04 R1 and immediately noticed that it has no FKN low end it has massive hp at higher RPMs but I dont really ride the top end that much. since I like to ride wheelies I have decided to drop a tooth or maybe couple of em. I have never done this on any of my bikes before, so I wanted to ask you guys should I drop one or two of em? or should I drop one in front and one in rear. I still wanna be able to rev it up thou. also If I decided to change the rear sprocket, do I need change the chain and front sprocket as well? the bike has about 2000 miles on it. any suggestion would be very helpful, Thanks

2. oakie

oakie my ninja.

if you're a wheelie guy, you would already know this.

dont drop teeth off the front... add 2 teeth to the rear. 1 off the front is about equivalent to +2 in the rear, but without the extra chain wear from the increased chain angle.

but if you knew how to ride, you'd be clutching them up instead of trying to snap them in 1st or 2nd. 1st can get hairy due to throttle responsiveness, making the fight for balance more difficult and your distances shorter without an upshift. 2nd is much harder to snap it up, but you can ride it out longer and is easier to find the balance point. dropping teeth merely makes 2nd gear more throttle sensitive and is not really done by wheelie guys but more by raw stunters, who want to be able to lift the front without any speed at all. clutching can be done at much lower speeds when done properly.

as for low end on the new R1, obivously you dont have much riding experience if you say it has no low-end. either you've been riding harleys or dirtbikes.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  3. DAD DICK

DAD DICK MAKE AMERICA GROPE AGAIN OT Supporter

My GSXR750 has -1 front +2 back and it feels perfect. 520 Conversion. Instant pull in any gear and I've still had it to 160 (indicated) with more to go. Don't care for super high speeds much anyway, it's mostly hills here...although after the full exhaust and PC2 it was pretty much unridable at stock height. I've got it slammed now and it's a blast to ride. Nearly pulls me off the bike above 9k in 1st!!

4. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Yeah I Fked up I meant Rear 2 up or 1 down front. and no asshole I havent been riding harleys or dirt bikes I last bike was BUSA Plus LOOK AT THE FKN 04 R1 DYNO SHEET they do have a really weak low end.
    http://www.hardracing.com/images/04R1serpent1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2004
  5. oakie

oakie my ninja.

it's not weak compared to other 1000cc inline fours, fuckwit. oh, and since you said you used to ride a busa, i guess i am supposed to just bow down now. :rolleyes:

6. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Exactly they are fkn weak, and No you DUMBFK I dont want you to bow down I mentined the BUSA because you said "either you've been riding harleys or dirtbikes" once again no body wants you to bow down so you dont have to unless its you thing to get on your knees.

7. oakie

oakie my ninja.

you bow by getting down on your knees? fagmo.

8. warped_mind

warped_mind New Member

:Owned: :bowrofl:

9. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

If you can't wheelie an 04 R1 without changing the gearing, either:

1) You shouldn't be doing wheelies.
    2) You shouldn't be riding an R1.

You have to keep the RPMs on I4's up to stay in the powerband; if you wanted low end torque, you should have bought a v-twin.

10. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

No you don't. Least not on mine.