Dropped Laptop- CDRW/DVD-ROM broken

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by calisteph6, Apr 28, 2006.

1. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

Ok, so my dumbass little sis dropped my laptop on a tile floor from about 3 feet in the air. It bounced a few times too... Anyway, the CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive doesn't work, but everything else seems to be fine. Should I just replace the drive or go with one of dell's great deals. And how do I find out if the new drive is compatiable with my comp? And one more question, how likely is it that something else is wrong with it. The seam (like the part of the laptop closest to me when using it) seems to be sorta loose... but isn't causing any problems that I can see.

The specs:
    Bought October 2004, paid $800 on one of the famous $750 off of $1500 deals
    Dell Inspiron 8600
    512MB DDR Ram
    Pentium M 1.6 GB Processor
    60GB harddrive
    And then I have the other normal BS- wireless card etc etc

For extra info, I do mostly internet surfing, music downloading, itunes stuff. No gaming for the most part and sometimes light word processing. I really don't need anything fancy and the only reason I'm looking to fix this is b/c I'm going to start studying for the CPA exam and need the CD drive for the software.

Thanks guys!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

meh you have a dell. I certainly wouldn't recommend spending money on another dell.... just buy a new cd drive.

3. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

Yea, but I'm computer stupid. What does it have to say to fit into that slot? I manager to pull the old one out, but when I look at new ones online they all look thick like they belong in a desktop. Is there a certain name for the CD drive I need?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

call dell and give them your service tag number and tell them you need a replacement CD drive... You *must* buy a Dell drive to work in your Dell notebook.

The alternative is eBay, but I don't recommend 2nd hand computer parts -- something is prolly wrong with the one you buy there.

5. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

Well, that's lame. Are all notebooks like that, or just Dell?...because my Dad's Toshiba is having a drive problem as well.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Most laptops are like that.