MIL Dropped from MOS school for heat exhaustion

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Khaaz, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

A little over a week ago I was dropped from the Basic Reconnaissance Course for 3 accounts of heat exhaustion on ruck runs. I was medically required to be dropped because my core body temp went above 104 twice and 105 once, causing me to pass out on two separate occasions.

I was dropped to the Student Administration Company at SOI until I am reclassified or whatever else happens. I am pretty confused and feeling left in the dark about what will happen with me. I am a reservist and haven't had a chance to talk to my reserve unit yet. When I got to SAC I was initially put into the reception platoon and was waiting for an appointment to get physically evaluated as my drop package from BRC stated needs to happen. I went to the BAS and was sort of, at least how I feel, blown off by the doctor that saw me. A SSgt. at SAC and the reservist liason there) had me sent over there to get evaluated to see if I need to be reclassified, if I can stay as an 0311, etc. The navy officer at BAS took one look at my papers and basically gave me a light duty chit for 30 days saying I would be fine and could go back to training shortly.

The SSgt. at SAC seemed a little perplexed because he couldn't really do anything with a light duty chit. The following morning I was transferred to the rehab portion of SAC company, although the SSgt. at rehab really had no idea why they sent me to him considering I am not technically injured and from his point of view I should already have been sent home or had orders on the way to report to my reserve unit so they can decide what to do with me.

Anyways, I am just looking for any advice on my situation and what I might be looking at. I am feeling sort of passed around and like they are not quite sure where to send me. Medical was pretty perplexed at a medically dropped reservist from a Recon unit. I would love to go back to training, but like the Senior Chief at the Recon Course told me, without getting a good medical evaluation and having gone down 3 times already for heat exhaustion, I am a big health risk to myself and run the risk of permanantly hurting myself. I am worried I might get sent to a unit as an 0311 or back through SOI to get another 03xx MOS and will have a heat case again.

2. Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift New Member

I'll buy you a drink here at Johnson when you get here ;)

3. G_Ranger

G_Ranger New Member

BOHICA...thats an army thing, but it still applies to you here. Maybe your just not cut out for that type of unit...i know that sounds mean but the truth hurts sometimes

4. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

you will eventually join your unit as their bitch, if you can't handle drinking water and taking care of yourself they will entrust you will nothing.

then when it comes to deployment you will be passed off to a regular infantry unit where you will be looked down upon.

5. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Watch your protein levels. You might already be permanently messed up.

BTW - SSgt's are not doctors.

6. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Not everyone is created equal.

And not ever Soldier (intra-service unspecific) has trained in the same environs.

Last year FT Drum sent 22 soldiers to the same Ranger School cycle. ALL 22 Soldiers (from ALL BCTs) returned within a week ALL from dehydration and heat injuries. There was just no way to properly train the Soldiers here at drum for Georgia heat without proper acclimization.

7. Scrooge McDuck

Scrooge McDuck OT Supporter

christensen is that you?

8. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

just trying to give it to him straight :dunno:

9. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I thought being a heat casualty multiple times would lead to an admin sep?

10. G_Ranger

G_Ranger New Member

It can, depending on the particular unit. If the chain of command feels like they dont want to take the risk of carrying the soldier and looking out for him, then one option is to begin seperation. Otherwise if the unit feels the individual has something else to offer (good at paperwork = S1 or training room type soldier etc..) then they may look past it and keep him around.

Again its always up to individual units to make that call. Watch for more and more units to start getting rid of soldiers as time goes on and the recruitment pool becomes more selective. Word of advice, anyone out there skating by with medical problems, overweight, low PT or any other "baggage"...better start tightening up that shot group.

11. Parris04

Parris04 New Member

Heat exhasution is a tough thing and it is said that once you are heat injury you are more prone to future heat injuries. My advice is to use this a a wake up call. This may not be the road for you. 0321 - USMC or 11b Ranger / Special Forces / (b4) are tough assingments. That is why not every grunt CAN or WILL pick up the MOS or the indentifier.

If you still want to be in Special Operations-esque, SOC-esque I would suggest you contact your home unit and see if they can attach you the HQ element or whichever unit has the Recon platoon.

If you met the qualificaiton for BRC

3 mile run (18:00min 100pts)
    20 pullups (dead hang) 100pts
    80 situps/2min. 100pts.

You should have no problem linking up with the Scouts/Recon.

And you can still get a slot as a Sniper or SSO.

There was another young devil dog that had a similar problem and tried to find a way around. He got out of the Marines and joined the Army only to find out that the Army's Recon/Scout have pretty much the same qualifications (minus the dead hang pullups)

good luck devil dog.

its not over, but all jobs are not for all Marines.

12. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Heat stroke is also a cause for admin sep, amirite?

oh yeah Khaaz, did you get the silver bullet? 3 times? :mamoru: sorry.