drop it like it's hot!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by notaniceperson, Dec 18, 2008.

1. notaniceperson

notaniceperson -I'm an ASSHOLE!

HI, I had a NAS server, just a small 500GB unit. It fell. Broke the case open on the enclsure and will not fire up. I removed the drive, put it in a SATA cradle anmd fired it up. It spins up, but is clicking.

How might I go about recovering data?

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

pent? lol

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You're fucked. There is no escape from the click of death.

Well...you might be able to remove the cover and unstick the reader arm, but hopefully you realize this is an incredibly sensitive thing to do, and you'll still need to replace the disk after you get the data off it. If it even works.

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

You'll also need a sterile clean room environment and a full bio suit :rofl:

One single bit of dust or dirt falls on the platter and its ruined for good.

5. deusexaethera

So what you're saying is, you've never done it. I've run hard drives open, face-up, sitting on my desk, for more than long enough to copy the entire contents. Dust won't stick to the platters once they're spinning at several thousand RPM -- it will bounce off the thin layer of air spinning along with the platters.

6. notaniceperson

Ok so open it up and do what now? Play witt he reader arm/heads? Explain please. I could care less about the drive, but the folder of family pictures on it is crucial.

7. notaniceperson

fuvkign dog got loose and knocked itover...fucking dog....gonna send it to china for food.

8. awns729

awns729 New Member

how much are you willing to pay? You can send it off for a very high fee to a professional place. There's more of a guarantee if you do that. Doing it yourself is very risky.

9. CodeX

CodeX Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No, I don't have any idea what I am talking about

[​IMG]

10. deusexaethera

Oh well, if you know how to use Google Images...I guess you win.

Yes, I'm aware that a dust-free environment is required to build hard drives and have them work without problems for years, but an open hard drive can run just fine for days or even weeks -- which is more than long enough to check for jammed parts and then backup the data.

Here's a question: if hard drives instantly self-destruct as soon as dust even thinks about coming near the platters, why do they even bother to put dust filters inside hard drives? Hmm.