Driving to OH to look at a 68 fastback...what to look for?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by SpeedyGST, Jul 21, 2004.

1. SpeedyGST

SpeedyGST Guest

owner says it needs TLC, but is in fair shape, but what things should i look for specifically as a warning to not pick it up.

the motor im not concerned about nor the suspension or brakes, they are all being replaced.

can someone or a group of yall give me a checklist to look at?

2. rumpy

rumpy I am of two minds...literally OT Supporter

When I looked at my car I mainly looked at the floor boards and frame for rust or any unusual dents , wrinkles (any type of accident damage). Also look at the vin #s and see how they match up to your records. See if the car is cut up and mixed and matched with three other 68 Mustangs? I don't know much about 68 Mustangs but I would guess that there are entire web sites devoted to decoding the vin #s and other information.

3. jonny_ringo74

jonny_ringo74 New Member

Yeah, look at the rear quarters and frame very carefully... The cowl is another weak point. Pour some water down the cowl vent and see if it has leaked onto the floor. The front frames are a bad place as well. Look where the bumper brackets mount to on each side. Other than that, enjoy.

4. jonny_ringo74

jonny_ringo74 New Member

Oh, got a pic of it? please post

5. No Thanks

No Thanks Guest

There are sites specifically for people looking to purchase used classic mustangs.

I suggest regg'ing on stangnet.com and hitting up the classic mustang forums.

6. chefinator

chefinator New Member

i got a 68 fastback

take your knuckle and tap around on the body, listen for change of sound..AKA puddy

7. 66comet

66comet New Member

Check for rust at the bottom of the rear window, it's a common spot. Ask questions and see if the owner is hesitant.

8. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

I have heard the near the tunnel and rear leafs can be a place for stress cracks from torsion. Anything else can be easily fixed.

9. nemopie

nemopie OT Supporter

I restored a 67 mustang fastback and the thing that was most rusted was the trunk and the floor boards so might wana look out for that.