Driving the RING in August.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Thomas Crenshaw, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

Going to Germany in August, just got off the phone/email with a rental company there.

since im 22 and they normally have a restriction of 25, hes going to let me do 6 laps in a Renault Clio Sport (track tuned) and then 6 laps in the M3 CSL.

going to be soo fucking exciting. this is one thing on my bucketlist. (This and just go WOT on the autobahn for a few minutes are hand in hand.)

Anyone ever been on the ring? if so what did you take on it...pics/vids?

2. dazed

dazed New Member

3. lim f(x) = f(a)

lim f(x) = f(a) New Member

4. shiyan

shiyan grabbing titties in amusement parks OT Supporter

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4232670

If you've never been on the track, driving a M3 CSL after 6 laps in a Clio Sport isn't such a good idea.

I assume you're renting from RSRNurburg, will you have one of their instructors in the car with you?

Also, realise that it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to finish 12 laps on your first day, simply due to how mentally draining it will be

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  5. 2slow

2slow Member

Enjoy it, go as fast as you feel comfortable with and don't feel bad when you are outdriven by "lesser" cars. They have done more laps than you.
    DON'T run against a stopwatch, that's how most guys end up banging their cars in the railing (which you will have to pay for).

6. shiyan

7. whitesox

whitesox New Member

Have fun with the CSL. Take a ride in the ring taxi.

8. Thomas Crenshaw

Yes i am renting from RSR, why do you think and M3 after the clio is a bad idea?

This isnt the first time i've tracked a car. I've ran my 07 Civic Si on tracks and ive mirrored times of experienced STi drivers. I just have a nack for racing but im DEF not gonna take the ring for granted.

9. shiyan

In a nutshell, on your first trip you won't know the track well enough to make renting the CSL worthwhile. I doubt you'll even come close to fully exploiting the limits of the Clio Sport after 7 laps. The track's too long for you to learn that quickly. The CSL's so quick that it can easily get you into trouble if you try to drive close to its capability.

Even after 70+ laps, I have a hard time getting more than 10 laps into 1 day, although I can see 20 laps being possible when I'm very experienced and have a good day.

Besides track closures, unpredictable weather, minor things like the car needing cooling down breaks, I myself need breaks, as each lap takes ~10 minutes, and the sustained mental concentration is sapping.

On my first trip I managed 2 laps.

If you can manage to get some passenger laps the day before, you might be able to get 10~15 laps in the following day if you're not suffering from jetlag and have an instructor with you to help you with your driving and spotting traffic/yellows/dangerous situations. For your enjoyment I would suggest just staying with the Clio, in terms of driving dynamics it won't be too far off the Civic, and you'll be able to enjoy the track more, rather than getting used to the CSL.

You definitely don't need a fast car to enjoy the 'Ring.

Perhaps it's worth asking Leb_CRX on his thoughts of his first trip there.

10. Thomas Crenshaw

i appreciate the input but im not going in ignorant i know what kind of a beast the track is.

i want to still take the CSL because i want to be able to enjoy a nice car and have the power when i want it

ill still be spirited and cautious at the same time. we're making a day of it so well try as much as we can. chances are ill split laps with my father.

11. shiyan

Cool. As long as you are aware of the risks involved, hope you stay safe and have a great time.

What day(s) will you be going? If I'm there I'd be glad to offer you some passenger laps the day before you rent.

From RSRNurburg's prices page:

"What if I crash?"

You will need to pay for your own barrier damages and third party claims up to a maximum of €10,000. For damage to our cars the maximum amount payable is as follows; Alfa stage 1 €4000, Alfa stage 2&3 €6000, Clio €8000, R26.R €15000, BMW M3 CSL €20000 and GT3s €50000. Insurance for accident damage is available, see below.

"Are the cars insured?"

Yes, all our cars are road legal, taxed and tested. Their insurance policy specifically allows them to be used for hire and reward on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. The excess payments are so large that they only become useful in the event of serious claims (€50k+)

"Can I insure the car against any of this?"

You can limit the amount of accident damage payable by purchasing a seperate and extra insurance policy before leaving the premises. These are only available for drivers who have taken instruction with us on the same day. Typically the insurance policies cost from €100 in the cheapest car per driver and limit accident damage liability to between €1500 and €4000. This does not effect the third-party excess of €10000 though. As these policies rely on you being under instruction it is not possible to offer these for touristenfahrten (public driving) currently.

12. Thomas Crenshaw

Thanks!

Do they shun you if your not going all out? like if a normal turn should be taken at 70 and i take it at say 40 or so (just an example)

13. shiyan

definitely not, I think they'll actually be thankful lol. Their business model depends on people not crashing their cars so they'll only be unhappy with you if you seem to be taking unneccessary risk.

If the instructor sees that you're driving safely and sensibly, he'll help you get faster with better lines bit by bit, and tell you where you can use more of the car's power

14. shiyan

hmm... if I'm reading this correctly, they don't offer tuition on public driving days

that's not good

15. Thomas Crenshaw

explain?

16. shiyan

on their site, they only seem to offer tuition on closed trackdays

also

"This does not effect the third-party excess of €10000 though. As these policies rely on you being under instruction it is not possible to offer these for touristenfahrten (public driving) currently."

I assume you'll be going on a public driving day (sharing the track with bikes, busses, etc)

Rent4Ring told me that this is currently an issue due to the Nurburgring Motorsport Academy (who trained these rental companies' instructors) not letting them train people on public driving days, so that the Academy has more business (closed trackdays), I'm guessing RSRNurburg is in the same situation as well

Also, I just noticed the CSL seems to be right hand drive

17. shiyan

This might be of interet too, although I can not vouch for its accuracy:

http://forum.nurburgring.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=293474#293474

"Regarding the mention by Mr. Whitlock about house insurance; for Americans that fail to get proper insurance for European adventures, this can also apply.

When my Brother was living in Geneva many years ago (25+ years back), he failed to have ski insurance. In a collision at Chamonix, the injuries to the other party ended up being covered under my father's house insurance (Umbrella insurance is our term). This was after my brother had been arrested by the Gendarme's for failure to possess coverage. In checking with my own insurer, this can still apply for us whether skiing or other activities beyond motor vehicles.

If you are an American, your blanket car coverage for anything you drive in the USA is NOT good for Europe. You must get a special rider for Europe, and Progressive Insurance (HQ Mayfield Village, Ohio) here in the USA will cover driving at Spa or the Ring as long as you are up-front about it at time of quote request. This is particularly true for Euro car delivery programs. Get the additional Progressive insurance and enjoy the Ring then, otherwise expect the entry house to prevent you from getting on the course. "

18. Thomas Crenshaw

shit...may cause an issue then..the manager i spoke to at RSR never mentioned anything of the sort..

i appreciate the input man ill get on the horn with RSR and find out whats up

19. shiyan

not sure Leb_CRX did it, perhaps send him a PM :o

in any case, even with insurance, if you wreck, it gets expensive, which is why I suggest something easy to drive for your first trip :o

20. 2slow

2slow Member

OK, I'm only thinking out loud....... so don't do as I think and try to sue me when it goes wrong!

I've had some good fun with "lesser" cars on the Ring, you just have to refrain from touching the brakes ;-) so here goes: for less than the money you will pay for your "rent-a-ride" it must be possible to buy a VW Golf or something similar, slap a set of tempory plates on it and drive the Ring till something bends/impacts/explodes. Pull the plates off the wreck, hop over the barrier and pretend you were never there......

21. shiyan

now there's a plan :rofl:

leaving the legal side of this plan out... he'd have to be in Germany long enough to find a suitable car and get all the paperwork done

also, not sure if you can get onto the Ring with temporary plates :dunno:

with the amount of photographers and marshals dotted around the track, I doubt someone can get away with wrecking, then escaping the scene :o

22. Thomas Crenshaw

not trying that. lol

23. shiyan

Saw somebody crash RSRNurburg's Clio Sport in Kallenhard yesterday. Damage didn't look too bad but not sure.

24. apollotrance1

apollotrance1 Active Member

Man I am jealous now :o, this is 1 of the things I want to do soon, maybe within the next few years. Trying to get an idea now of what insurance to get and what car to choose from. What is the WHOLE trip going to cost you and how long do you plan on staying over there for??? Trying to get a basic idea on cost for track time, travel, food, hotel, etc. Hopefully your trip goes well and you have enough energy to do your 12 laps.

25. frog

frog New Member

I want to take my car on it.. I am going there this summer in a phaeton and any Porsche of my choice.. Well almost any..