SRS Driving Myself Insane. Where Is Life?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ran Kizama, May 23, 2006.

1. Ran Kizama

Ran Kizama New Member

I must have way too much free time to be asking for help on OT. :rofl:

I'm just trying to figure out where the thrill of life is at. Right now, I'm an energetic 21 year old male who is wasting away in an office. The standard daily routine is work-school-sleep and it follows in constant repetition. I don't have much free time so I don't see friends that often. I also have no time to meet new people and maybe find a girlfriend. I'd say that I'm pretty well off in your average American lifestyle, but I'm so damn bored!! There's no thrill in life! Nothing to take your breathe away and make you crave for more. Everything we do is run by a regulated system that society has forced upon us. Everything do is bound by laws and restrictions so tightly, that you can't do anything truly free without jumping thru 100 hoops.

Sometimes I just want to sell everything I own and run away from society. Just to get away from everything and be what I feel, is truly free. Yet, I know that this is an illogical and practically impossible dream. Still, where is the love of life? I'm sick of be depressed and alone all the damned time. With time wasting away behind me, what should I do to truly live?

Note: Don't post something as obvious as "Get laid." That much I can figure out for myself. :rofl:

2. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

One word:

Emigrate

I have the same problem and have come to the conclusion that I don't want to live here anymore. I can't wait to finish uni-fucking-versity and GTFO of North America and go back to Europe. :cool:

3. Ran Kizama

Ran Kizama New Member

Already in the cards. I'm set up with the JET program to hit Japan after I finish college. Do you really think that life will be that dramatically different? Besides, that's a year or two away. I need something to sustain me til then and I'm just not finding it.

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  4. Isaac

Isaac New Member

An office 9-5 job will rarely make you happy. Office Space was made for a reason: Becuase so many people hate their office life that they bond with a movie like that.

I've never done 9-5, and I've rarely been unhappy with my job. That's like 10 different types of jobs too. When you're not stuck in a schedule, you control your life more, and you can make it a lot more spontaneous and exciting. Spontaneity adds up to a lot. Inject it. Go on a weekend somewhere and don't plan it. Be a kid again and don't care what people think. Avoid the normal.

Don't like your job? Get a hobby you do, and think about making it a job. Paint pictures and try to sell them. Build a motorcycle in your garage and be Jesse James in your spare time.

Do something different every day. Be a new you every day. The days go slower when you're waiting for something to happen. They go a lot faster when you're making something happen.

5. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

One of three things will happen:

1) You will come to the realiazation that you loved the life you had before but only a few minor things were causing you to be unhappy and thus you will be happy to return to it eager to fix those things.

2) You fall in love with the culture of Japan and their way of life and decide to remain there.

3) You decide that Japan is not for you but you do find enough things in the different culture to sustain your decision that the lifestyle in the USA is simply not for you.

Good luck :hs:

Meanwhile I don't know ... I need something to sustain myself as well and maybe I'll get an idea or two from this thread. I guess I'll just focus on my job and education until I'm free to leave.

6. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

yeah, your right for the most part. life in america is focused on income and expenses....not really fun stuff. Work drains people of their energy because you cannot do something you hate everyday for 30 years, it simply cannot work unless your a machine. Americans work more hours a week than any other country, therefore they aren't in the same mental state as the rest of the world. I noticed on my trip to europe how much more relaxed and stress free the people were. Everyone just had a "whatever" type approach to problems. Your looking for fun? It's already been advised but i'll say it again. Get a hobby and try to make that your life, then you'll completely forget about not having fun because of how happy and satified you are from morning till night.

or go skydiving...that ought to wake you up.

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Ask yourself do i live to work or work to live? Really you should go out and hit the beach.

8. Jade

Jade New Member

I am very familiar with feeling like this. The best asdvice I can offer is to change your perceptions rather than your surroundings, if it is too difficult to change them. If you can view all experiences as equal, but understand that your perceptions of experience is what makes any experience profound or mundane, you should be able to do this.
    The other thing I do is go hiking in the mountains or walking on the beach once a week to reunite with nature and beauty. I hope I don't sound like a hippie. Let me know if you'd like to discuss this.