Driving in the rain.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deusexaethera, Mar 9, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Okay, it's pet peeve time: why the fuck don't you people use mudflaps?? :mad:

I was driving home on the highway the other night, and I swear to god I couldn't see a damn thing for all the mist in the air. It was sprinking, but it had been sprinkling long enough that the road was covered in water, and since I live in the suburbs half the people on the road were driving Suburbans and pickups. Not a one of them had mudflaps on, despite their ride height, and they were kicking up almost as much spray as the 18-wheelers that did have mudflaps. That is just unacceptable! Do you people not realize the danger posed by filling the air with whatever crap is stuck to your tires, or do you just not care?

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

maybe you need to get new glasses and new wiper blades.

CA doesn't require mudflaps unless your tires stick out past your fenders. even then, nobody has them, and its never bothered me.

3. deusexaethera

My prescription is fine, my blades are new, and I use Rain-X. The problem was I literally couldn't see the roadway through the cloud of mist being churned up by the "passenger trucks" in front of me. And yes, I did check to make sure lower vehicles weren't making just as big of a mess, before letting myself get pissed about it.

Those same "passenger trucks" were also cruising in the left lane, at the same speed as traffic in the other lanes, but that's a totally different issue. Strangely, the legions of BMWs were being very careful to finish passing people quickly. Must be they were actually capable of acceleration, or something.

I'm curious -- do you drive anything other than a truck? Have you ever gotten stuck behind a big SUV or a lifted pickup in the rain, while driving a road car? Or is your opinion that the lack of mudflaps isn't a problem based on the assumption that everyone has had the same experience as you?

Mudflaps aren't expensive and they improve visibility. I really don't know why they aren't mandatory on all trucks yet. Hell, most cars already have 'em, either attached or built into the bodywork.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i take the mudflaps off of my vehicles :mamoru:

you need to stop tail-gating and follow at a more safe distance.

5. deusexaethera

I'm not tailgating if I can stop fast enough to avoid hitting the car in front of me, and I'm not going to get into a debate about how much distance that is.

My windshield was clear, almost no water on it -- it was the ROAD that was obscured. Is there something complicated about this concept?

EDIT: Just in case there is something complicated about it, I'll give you something to visualize: imagine a cloud of dense fog coming out from the back of the Suburban in front of you, and blanketing the roadway for about 50 feet behind them. It's not hitting the windshield, it's just floating there and obscuring the lines and reflectors on the pavement.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

So follow the hazy cloud???

7. IslanderOffRoad

[​IMG]

Thats my daily.

Yes, I've been stuck behind SUVs and Semis before. No, I don't think its that bad. I think you're a shitty driver, just like you suck at life.

Mudflaps look like shit too.

8. Fareo

Fareo New Member

is this thread for realz? mud flaps are for rednecks who think yosemity sam is cool, or mexicans with impalas.

change lanes, get infront of them, dont take the freeway, get a bigger car, fall back "50 feet"... these are just a few of the ways you can avoid this problem.

however, ranting about a stupid avoidable problem and emblishing it on OT is NOT one of the ways to avoid it.

case closed

DISMISSED!

9. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

mud flaps, lol

10. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

Buy a set and ship them to me and I'll throw them on. Its a 94 K1500. Plain black with no graphic is fine.

11. Kyoso

Kyoso New Member

Mud flaps do not reduce the amount of mist, if anything it makes it more sporatic. They only keep rocks and shit from becoming high speed projectiles.

12. deusexaethera

I strongly disagree. I can spot from a quarter mile away a truck with flaps vs. another without them -- it's especially telling when the truck with flaps is larger, yet produces less mist.

Flaps may not reduce the amount of water coming off a truck's tires, but by keeping it lower to the ground, the water doesn't get sucked up into the turbulence behind the truck, and it doesn't get whipped into a fine mist that takes a long time to settle. Instead, the relatively smooth airflow under the car catches the water and slows it down quickly, so it drops right back down onto the road.

13. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

don't tailgate would be my answer. And by tailgate, I mean so close that the water from their tires is hitting you.

14. itsmevishal2k4

itsmevishal2k4 OT's Resident Brownie

i keep wondering if you will ever shut the fuck up

15. deusexaethera

It's. Not. Hitting me. This is like the fifth time I've explained the problem is the mist floats in the air -- WELL IN FRONT OF ME -- and blocks my view of the road ahead.

16. IslanderOffRoad

you do realize how weather and precipitation work right?

17. deusexaethera

That question is so vague, there's no way I can answer it.

18. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

oh, ok. Well, then doesn't that mist just make a cloud around the vehicle without the mudflaps? Stay away from them! lol

19. mellow

mellow New Member

^ :bowdown:

20. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

stop being a pussy and learn to drive .... if you could not see the road, then you were too close and YOU were driving in an unsafe manner.

if its raining and you are 50ft behind the vehicle in front of you and their rain kickup hinders your vision ... YOU are in the wrong and you need to backup.

you need to change your driving habits with changing weather conditions and driving / road conditions.

21. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Why can't you find another forum to troll? It's obvious you hate trucks and SUVs and want a minivan. Move on brah.

22. deusexaethera

I have nothing against trucks, I just have no use for one right now. Truth be told, if I hadn't been required to buy my mom's old car back in high school, I'd have bought a used Dakota one of my friends' parents was selling at the time. Who knows, I might have never even considered buying a regular car had that come to pass.

(SUVs are a different matter altogether.)

23. deusexaethera

Wait, I can't drive like it's dry and 85 degrees when it's wet and 40 degrees? Shit! :eek4:

I was further than 50 feet behind the vehicles in question, but I still couldn't see past those vehicles for all the mist swirling around them. I don't like not being able to see where the road is going. (For those of you who don't live in Virginia or Maryland, I guess you're unfamiliar with the way people will pull out to pass and then drive next to the vehicle they were going to pass for fear of traffic cops, thus blocking the road for miles at a time.)

There. I'm done explaining this over and over again. If anyone is still confused about what the problem was, all I can do is suggest remedial reading comprehension classes.

24. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

I guess your explanation is confusing pretty much everyone. The way I see it, 50 feet back still isnt far enough. Back up more. Try that and see how it works?

I've driven in NoVa many times. I know how it is. I stay at least 5-6 car lengths back. Never had a problem. The other drivers have had a problem with me though, because I refuse to tailgate like everyone else up there does.

25. ltriolo

ltriolo New Member

mud flaps are like condoms... they are available and cheap, guys just don't like using them