A&P Driving across country. Advice needed

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Keegan, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Keegan

Keegan New Member

Okay, so I'm heading back to Vancouver from Boston at the end of August with a friend of mine.
    We plan to take about a week to make the trip. Mostly along I-90, with some detouring for sites that have yet to be determined. Across to Seattle, then up to Vancouver BC.

What I'm looking for is any gear advice, mainly if I want a tripod or filters, and any suggestions on sites? I've been contemplating a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a 488rc2 head for some time, and it seems like this may be the time to buy it.

Room isn't really a problem since I'll only have by bike stripped down in the back of his Prius, stuff for this year, and a few of his things.

The gear that I have out on the East coast with me already and will have on the drive is...

1DmkII
    17-40
    50 1.8
    70-200 2.8
    580exII (won't be getting much use haha)
    Tons of CF

Cliffs:
    Driving across US back to school. Filter/Tripod advice and site suggestions?

2. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

I would without a doubt carry some filters with me, as well as a tripod...you never know when you might come across some landscape at high noon that you might need a filter for.

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Get a 3-stop graduated ND filter for sure. mine has been invaluable :bigok:

manfrotto tripod setup if you're serious. maybe the 055xprob or 190xprob and a nice ballhead like the 488rc2

4. Keegan

Keegan New Member

Your Chicago shots are what made me think of getting some in the first place... Do you have a hard or soft one?

They have rebates on right now for the Manfrotto stuff so it's even more tempting.

Besides a 3-stop GND, a CP to compliment it or not?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  5. MawcDrums

MawcDrums Active Member

Minus well get a CP...

Too bad your sizes are all so diverse, you'll need several different filters or step up rings :(

6. Section8

Section8 .

I had completely forgot about getting an ND filter for our trip out to Montana in November. We'll be driving too :o

7. Keegan

Keegan New Member

I was thinking 4x5 and holding them in front. The 50's the only one with a different size so it's not too bad.

8. Keegan

Keegan New Member

I figure I won't be doing the trip that many times in my life so I may as well buy some equipment now, considering I'll be getting it soon enough anyways. Besides, if Jcolman isn't purchasing new stuff, someone's gonna have to pick up the slack :naughty: