Driver's Log - 2004 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Dec 26, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By THE EDITORS OF AUTOWEEK
    (08:30 Dec. 22, 2003)

MANDEL: There are a few things you should immediately notice with this 350Z Roadster if you are any kind of professional automotive enthusiast. The first is that dropping the top is quick and easy, and very much necessary in good weather. The second is that the engineers have worked very hard to make the exhaust note work to the benefit of the car and owners and passersby. This thing sounds tremendous, and even more so if you get to run it through a tunnel or under an overpass; a tantalizing aural pleasure. And the third thing you notice is that it is very solidly built. Drop the top in past models, or even in other sports cars, and you would feel the shake and shimmy. There is very little of that here. I didn’t give it the door-open test—to park one tire on a curb and try to open the door to see if there is too much flex. But based on around-town driving, I wouldn’t expect there to be much.

GRITZINGER: I can verify the attention-getting potential of this car: I was less than a mile from the office, driving top-down on the freeway when a loud horn caught my attention from behind. Inside the offending noisemaker that pulled alongside was a woman waving and giving me all manner of thumbs-up—for the car, not me, I’m sure. And how ’bout this? She was driving a convertible (a Sebring, top up, despite the nice afternoon). That was just a taste of life in the 350Z Roadster—everybody wanted a look at this car, especially with the top down. Top up, it’s somewhat nondescript, I’m afraid. But here’s the good news: Top up or down, this is one stiff, tight, strong-running roadster. It offers more than enough power, excellent road feel, super brakes, perfect shifter—it’s hard to believe it doesn’t cost more. The only shortcoming is the underwhelming interior, but even that is acceptable. This is the way Nissan has been clawing its way back into the forefront of the car business lately: building really sweet products and pricing them right.

DATE IN FLEET: Nov. 10-20
    AS-TESTED PRICE: $33,289
    POWERTRAIN: 3.5-liter V6; rwd, six-speed manual OUTPUT: 287 hp @ 6200 rpm, 274 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm
    CURB WEIGHT: 3428 pounds

[​IMG]

2. ocular

ocular Active Member

3. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I can't stand the way those look :hs:

4. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Finally. A bias free article from TriShieled.

5. Turbo240sx

Turbo240sx Still Spoolin'

very pimp

6. KoukiS14

KoukiS14 New Member

hated the Z roadster till I saw it in person. . very nice looking drop top. . top up or down. .
    but down, it looks notably better :bigthumb:

Thanks for the thread, Trishield.

7. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

i've driven both the coupe and convertible, both were not exciting.

8. sduquette

sduquette Guest

If they weren't exciting, then you pussyfooted around. The 350z is a blast. But then again, I find my bimmer and lexus pretty exciting also. They do everything I want them to do, and without a complaint. I've been sideways so many times in the lexus, it's not even funny. Hell, I changed my first set of tires at 4500 miles because I was tearing them up at the track, playing around on the streets, and all around havin a ball. The Z is every bit as fun to drive, actually even more so. A little beater mazda comuter car thing will never nive up to the Z legacy, the Z is what ebing a sports car is all about, not some shitty little suicide doors and Hot Import Nights body styling.

9. KoukiS14

KoukiS14 New Member

I think the only problem with the Z, is that individuals have hyped the car to something it's not. There was no hype from Nissan, just honesty. People believe this thing is going to take on a Ferrari in every category. . the 350z is an awesome bang for the buck car, handles great, and acceleration is phenomenal. Overpriced, it is not [/yoda]
    my car, a 97 240sx. . was overpriced. . the 300zx twin turbo, was over priced. .

Z33, to me anyway. . is basically the EXACT same concept as the 240sx. . only with two seats, and an awesome engine. . for about the same price.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  10. dragenscorp

dragenscorp Guest

S2k>this thing.

Funny how you never see shots of it with the top up. Could be because it is possibly the UGLIEST vehicle on the road with the top up. Not that it looks much better with the top down.

11. dragenscorp

dragenscorp Guest

Perhaps, if you want a rough ass ride, unpredictable and unforgiving handling, it's-not-that-great-but-please-look-at-me styling, and just-adequate power.

The old Z was a sports car. This thing is a brainless poseur.