Drive (path letter) help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MP, Jun 21, 2005.

1. MP

MP New Member

quick rundown of my problem

my computer had one bad hdd so I went to get another one + norton ghost.

I plugged in the second hard drive as a slave and installed norton ghost 9.0

It had an option to copy over ALL the data on the exsisting hdd bit for bit and they reccommended it for upgraded or just replacing your hdd. So I did it and it copied everything over just fine.

the thing I can't figure out how to do is change the drive letter to C:\ on the new hdd. I need it to be C for networking things & some of the programs.

another thing, the new hdd will only boot up as long as the old hdd is plugged in as a slave. When I looked in the admin tools the old C drive is being used as the page file so it wouldn't let me change the drive letter still. I tried setting where the page file resides to the new hdd but it keeps going back to C when I boot up.

I really hope someone can help me out here. Is there a way to manually change drive letters or something?

thanks

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well the real problem is that your old HD is still there. You need to be able to boot up without it. Some HD have settings for Master w/ slave and Master w/o slave (seriously WTF?). Windows will get confused (as will you) if you have two identical drives running. The reference to Drive C: is a leftover from DOS days, and if you do ghost from one drive to another, then disconnect the old drive, you won't have any problems.

In other words, get the bloody thing to boot without the old drive before doing anything

3. MP

MP New Member

damn

that doesn't help at all

4. MP

MP New Member

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ditto on the above that formatting is probably the best option.

6. sboldman

sboldman New Member

If you have ghost why don't you just create a ghost image of your C drive - Take the drive out and put the new one in - boot new drive to ghost and restore the image to the new drive.

You could then put the old disk back in if you want it for extra space...

I know this didn't answer your question, but it's another option. Good luck.