SRS Drinking problem

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SovietRussia, Nov 27, 2005.

1. SovietRussia

SovietRussia What? You pooped in the refrigerator? OT Supporter

So i know i have a drinking problem, but this time i went too far i feel. I have a son, and i watch him over at my moms when i have him (i am not with his mother anymore) so i had him this weekend, i stayed home friday night, but went out drinking sat. night. i was supposed to be back at my moms early sunday so she could get to work. i got drunk and overslept. so my mom was late for work, and she called my ex to get my son. now i feel like shit! im sure my mom is pretty steamed as well as my ex, and i have no explination for what happened because there is none besides my stupidity. i wish i knew how to make things better. i wish i had someone in my life that could settle me down. right now i wish i wasnt me. i know that when people look for advice, they really are looking for someone to agree with what they are already thinking, but i could use some advice or thoughts in general.

2. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

Just curious, where is it you usually find yourself drinking? Is it when you go out to bars/pubs, or do you frequent the local liquor store and drink at home or at a friends?

Considering you have a problem, i think its time to consider a lifestyle change and stay away from locations, stores and people with whom you usually consume alcohol. If you have any alcohol in your household, i suggest you get rid of it (ie. not by drinking it :hs:)

The hard part is really going to be staying away from alchohol and saying no. Although you may be tempted to consider the day a special occasion, or have a shot after a hard week at work, it would be best to stay away completely since one drink usually turns into more. Also, going out with your friends could create a little initial akwardnes, but telling them before hand you will absolutly not be drinking and not to offer you any is usually a good thing ; most friends understand.

As far as your son and relations with the family go, i think it will take time and being sober to regain their trust in you. dont feel discouraged if they arent quick to forgive. Just tell them in so many words you know you did the wrong thing, let a substance distract you from what was really important , and then ensure them you are taking steps to make sure it doesnt happen again- for your son and your own peace of mind.

3. SovietRussia

i guess im not really looking to quit drinking altogether. i have decided that when i have my son, i will be not drinking, because that way i am at home in case he has a bad dream or something, and i am not hung over the next morning. unfortunately, it takes me screwing up to realize something i should have known all along. :hs:

4. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

ok, if its not THAT serious of a problem (such as being surgically attached to the bottle), then your going to have to plan your schedual and ensure your recreation doesnt interfere with your son. maybe make plans for the week before you see him so you get it out of your system before you have to be a dad for him?

5. Pennywise

Pennywise New Member

You should link your thread in the main forum here, and let people respond to both.

I don't think the drinking is your problem- it is that you don't really want your child around right now. You were not ready. It would be best for you to own up to that instead of stringing your song along right now. People would respect you more if you knew it was time to punch out.

6. SovietRussia

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2186954

link to thread in main forum. i posted it there because i wanted to get responses right away, and no one was in the assylum. :hsd:

7. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Why aren't you posting in Road To Recovery? I remember you have posted there before, but I can't remember the details of any of your situations. I found something about quitting smoking, but I highly suggest you deal with the more important issue which poses clear and present danger, your drinking problem!

I'm sure you've heard it before, but I'll say it again, go to an AA meeting. Go lots of AA meetings, try and go to a meeting everyday. If you're not ready to accept your powerless over your drinking, and try to quit completely, you're only going to experience more pain like this, but worse.

My advice in short: Go to a meeting, stop drinking, and take responsibility for your recovery and your actions.

8. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

You made a mistake, you learned from it. Try and not repeat your past indiscretions.

9. Ticallion

Ticallion OT Supporter

You seem to do a lot of "oh i wish there was someone to help me, i wish someone could fix this". Nobody EXCEPT yourself can fix this. You've realized you have a problem. Take the next step. What's more important to you, an early coffin, or being in your son's life?