SRS Drinking once a week

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Epicman, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

For the past 6 months or so I've generally been drinking once a week. When I drink I tend to over do it. I like the taste of liquor and drink it fast and once I'm drunk I get drinks stronger and drink them faster to the point that I black out. Not black out that I'm a mumbling fool puking on myself. Just that the next day I'll wake up and not remember a damn thing about the previous night. The crowd I go out with, 40+ people normally, never realize how drunk I am until I tell them the next day I don't remember anything. I think my brain just turns off cause apparently I'm coherent enough for them to not notice how drunk I am.

My question is, does that make me an alcoholic? I like to think it doesn't because I don't drink the rest of the week. Now, in the slim chance it does, I have cut back on my drinking. I haven't drank in two weeks and probably won't for a while longer just to be on the safe side. There have been very few times where I've actually wanted to drink, as in my body asked for it. Most of the time I only drink because I enjoy how I feel when I'm drunk but I have no control and keep drinking past my limit.

2. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I dunno. I prety much drank once a week for years and never blacked out, not once. I am in recovery now (it eventually got worse), I guess a "bottom" as they say is different for different people. I told myself that if it ever got past a certain point I would quit so I did.
    You are doing the right thing by cutting back. At least you are aware, which is better than most party type people. If you continue to have problems than I would cross that bridge when you come to it.

3. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

By definition, yes, you are.

If you learn to control the pattern, you are a rare exception. However, even if you quit for a long period, you will pick up where you left off and,more than likely, get worse. Quickly, if you're like the rest of us. Read selfpollution's second sentence.

I commend him for following the promise he made to himself in sentence three.

4. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Alcoholism is really about the inability to moderate. The Big Book suggests going to bar and seeing if you can only have a couple drinks, or even just one and stopping.

Controlling frequency (i.e. not drinking on the weekdays) is something that I could control even in the disease to a certain extent, and also something that many other alcoholics can control for a certain period of time. If you have one drink, and you suddenly lose control and MUST drink to the point of blackout, that's a rather strong sign of alcoholic tendencies. I suggest you attend an AA meeting and see if you can relate to what others share.

Additional suggestions could include stopping for a little while, or attempting to have 1 or 2 drinks every time you go out for at least a few months. If you feel you are being tortured by this and cannot do it, you may want to consider attending more meetings and/or not drinking. If you're always drinking alcoholicly, a DUI or some other bad event could be just around the corner.

5. Defiler

Defiler New Member

Blacking out means you are drinking too much when you are drinking. Cut down your intake, and drinking once a week will be relatively healthy.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

dude....he created this thread almost 2 years ago.

BAN THIS NOOB

7. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

:rofl:

8. Allright well please dont take these clowns seriously.

the straight truth is once a week aint nothing. It has no ill effects provided you got no work or nothing the next day, so no worrys

9. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

Since this is revived, I might as well add .02 to it :mamoru:

Just a quick blurb: Blacking out is one characteristic of drinking that applies strictly to people with the alcoholic gene. If this is happening, it doesn't necessarily mean you have a problem, but it does mean that you have all the right genetic traits to create one.

thats all :bigthumb:

10. Coottie

Because you clearly know your shit? :rofl: wrong again.
    Tell that to the sponsorees I've had in AA that only drank once a week.

You really need to spend some time in AA and learning about what alcoholism is all about. There are plenty of people that only drank once a week and thought, "I can't be an alcoholic because I only drink once a week".

I agree tho, generally speaking, drinking once a week is not as harmful as drinking everyday. However, for the alcoholic, drinking once a week is a very big deal. It's not "harmless" and it's certainly behavior that alcoholics would do well to avoid.

11. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

What the fuck? :rofl: Who searches this far back?

12. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

Wow, I was fresh out of rehab when this thread started.

It keeps getting better.:big grin:"II"

13. JohnFrancis

JohnFrancis New Member

No, a ban is not necessary for this fellow.
    He is suggesting moderation, that can be healthy.

14. cacophony

cacophony And so they called me Johnny Volcanoseed.

I read this and my brain said Uh oh.

15. Coottie

Not for an alcoholic.

For an alcoholic, moderation can be deadly and this idea has cost many, many alcoholics to suffer.

16. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

by definitiion yes, but honestly that behavior is only truly alcoholism if it is affecting your personal relationships. maybe switch to beer ?

17. Coottie

Blacking out is not normal drinking....no matter how common it is.

This is very alcoholic behavior. In fact, it's discussed in the Big Book of AA.