SRS Drinking and Driving Problem

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Snowed, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Snowed

Snowed OT Supporter

I have one friend who will drink 10-15 beers 2-3 nights a week and drive a few hours later. Granted, he's a big guy, so he's never blackout drunk or anything, but they'll be times when he's stumbling around on the way to his car.

The rest of us will drink moderately and drive (maybe 3 or 4 beers in a few hours), but we realize when we're too drunk and leave our cars or spend the night. Our friend ALWAYS drives home. We feel a little hypocritical calling him out, but do none the less.

The problem is, he never listens. We'll explain how even though he's been doing this for the past year plus, his luck won't last forever and something bad will happen eventually, but he'll just ignore us and drive home anyways. We can't very well stop him from drinking or take the keys away from him, as he'll just go drink with different people instead.

Any idea's on what to do? We're just hoping he gets a DUI before he hurts himself, or worse, someone else.

Oh, and he's the type of guy who thinks he's the shit, is VERY stubborn, and in his mind, always right, which doesn't make things any easier.

2. legit31679

legit31679 New Member

when you know he is going to drive drunk, call the cops on his ass. Or, let him to it and if something happens (accident, ticket, someone dies) its his own damn fault.

At a minimum, keep telling him its not smart to drive, or offer not to drink and take him home or carpool.

3. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

If you've exhausted all lesser means and have tried to be a good friend...you've done your job. Hang it up. The guy sounds like a tool, so next time call the cops. Think of how you would feel if his drunk ass hit a family and killed them all.

Shit has happened too many times before. Don't perpetuate the cycle.

4. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

so motherfucking :werd:

5. Samson

Samson New Member

i too have a friend who drinks excessively and insists on driving home... if i offer to take him home, etc.. he'll jump in his car and take off like a bat out of hell, making matters worse. :shrug: one can only do so much.

6. 7960

7960 New Member

tell him you're going to call the cops on him if he gets stumbling drunk and drives.

and if he gets stumbling drunk and gets in the car, call the cops on him.

7. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

Call the cops and tell them to come to your house because your friend won't listen and is getting in the car to drive drunk when he is stepping out of the door..

Strike a conversation with him about past memories, blah blah blah, it really shouldn't be hard if he is your friend. Make sure when he starts to walk off, you tell him you'll drive him home. If he says no, tell him to to spend the night (again), if no and he gets in his car..BAM cops in the ass.

If he never leaves the driveway that family that could be getting killed is now safe from his idiocism

8. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Gang up on him and take his keys.

9. epracmetcon

epracmetcon New Member

Honestly. I'd go with everyone else and say call the cops on his ass. I used to have the same problem until I got stopped one night. Luckily I passed everything and blew under by about .005. It was a BIG wake up call for me and I have since stopped.

10. jonno

jonno New Member

instead of getting your buddy arrested. why don't one of you offer to pick him up and drop him off?

11. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Next time he calls and wants to hang out (drink) say

"Let me have your keys before we go out so you don't drive like you did last time."
    If he says "no" then tell him you won't be hanging out with him.

12. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

You could all hide your keys in a place that would be impossible to access stumbling drunk. It'll be hilarious to watch.

13. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You call the cops and you'll lose a friend. This fucking tough love bullshit people are pushing is just that....bullshit.

Look your friend is going to have to experience life and it's consequences. Perhaps you can help him find better ways to deal with the shit in his life.

14. 7960

7960 New Member

and let him keep driving drunk and you'll lose a friend *AND* you'll have to live with knowing maybe you could have helped prevent his having killed someone one night.

I'd rather lose him as a friend.

15. epracmetcon

epracmetcon New Member

:werd:

Honestly, it was the best thing that ever happened to me, and I didnt even get a DUI.

16. Coottie

Right...because calling the cops is the ONLY option for helping your friend.:ugh:

Gimme a break...you're smarter than this.

17. 7960

7960 New Member

from reading his first post, it's just about to this point.

my first post was
    if he can't drink without getting stumbling drunk (1st problem) and doesn't arrange another ride (2nd problem) then he deserves to have the cops called on him.

18. Snowed

Snowed OT Supporter

:eek3: He got a DUI last night. He passed all the sobriety tests and only blew a .05, but since he's under 18 he's still fucked. As much as it sucks for him, it's definitely a good thing. Thankfully it didn't resort to me having to call the cops, we've been buddies for the past 5 or 6 years and that would really screw things up.

That trips me out too, right after I make this thread/talk to my friends about this he gets a DUI a few days later. Maybe it was meant to happen...

19. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

threadstarter: are you 21?

even if you are of legal age, don't you think having 4 beers and driving drunk just like he does is pretty shitty?

4 beers in a couple of hours = 0.08 or greater = driving drunk

20. 7960

7960 New Member

delete this thread.

if he hears about it somehow, he'll always assume you called the cops.

21. Coottie

:werd:

22. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

You need to man the fuck up and actually do something about it. First and formost would be taking his keys away. Keep in mind I said TAKE the keys, not ask for them. Don't give him a choice.

Keep this in mind. If you keep letting him do this, he WILL eventually kill or injure himself or someone else. I know a guy who's wife and baby were killed by some asshole who had the same problem, I guarantee he wished somebody had the fucking balls to have stopped the guy.

So next time he drinks with you, take his goddamn keys. When a person is drunk its pretty easy to physically take them away. Trick him into handing them over and keep his distracted or just physically take them.

23. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

Wait a fucking minute. He drink 10-15 beers 2-3 nights a week, driving drunk and he's a fucking teenager? Dudes on the express lane to a serious drinking problem brah. Get him help now before it gets even worse.

Who the fuck is buying him the alcohol anyways? I'd call the cops on those assholes too.

24. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Yeah, I'm sticking with taking his keys first if he's drinking and driving while I'm around. If that didn't work I'd threaten calling the cops if he wouldn't listen and decided to drive.

Calling the cops on the guy right off the bat seems a pretty harsh thing to do to a friend w/o trying other options first.

25. Effervescent

Effervescent New Member

Jump out infront of his car, and let him seriously hurt you (or pretend, if you're a bad friend and a pussy)

Then see if he stops. A broken leg or a severe brain injury should be enough to either get him sober or get him to drink so much he actually dies, and either way, you've fixed it.