Drink up me hearties yo ho! v.PotBS

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by WyldKat, Jan 11, 2008.

1. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

I've been playing the pre-boarding party as English on the Bonny server. If you haven't heard, Pirates of the Burning Sea is a pirate MMO. It's actually the first one to do it up right, yes, those Korean ones are absolute shit. This one reminds me of Sid Meier's Pirates! mixed in with EVE Online.

The graphics are pretty nice though not groundbreaking, but they are definately better than other MMOs on the market. The economic game is phenominal, very much like EVE Online. Unlike EVE the game isn't a borefest for people who aren't really interested in the economy game. The missions are pretty well written and there's some pretty cool stuff revealed at higher levels. The classes are all very different and suit pretty much all playstyles. Pirates can actually pirate and capture vessels for their own in PvP or PVE.

Oh that's another thing...PVP is great. You can actually take over enemy ports which is a HUGE boost to your nation's economy. Port battles are a massive affair with huge ships of the line but even privateers in small ships have a place harrassing the enemy. You -can- lose your ships in PVP but there is a real reason to be doing it in the first place, it's not a diversion that was tacked on at the last minute, this game was designed to cater to both PVP and PVE enthusiasts.

The game isn't perfect though. The swashbuckling (hand to hand) segments were added while the game was in early beta. It's still fun but there is content like maps and settings that will be added soon, so it can look the same. Also swashbuckling combat is continually being tweaked to make it more engaging. It got a LOT more strategic since beta as the enemies have gotten harder and you can't just spam your attack anymore. The base system is quite good though. You have three bars, Health, Initiative, and Balance. HP is well, duh...loose all that and you're dead. Initiative is what you need to execute attacks an not be blocked/parried/dodged, and Balance is very important, as the key is to set your opponent off balance so that you can land a blow. There are several types of attacks... attack that lower balance, straight damage shots, finishing moves that you can execute when they are off balance that do massive damage, as well as some CC and other stuff (Most of the time its you and your crew vs another captain and his).

Anyways... if you liked the economy in EVE but was fed up by how boring it was, you liked Sid Meier's Pirates!, you like PVP but hate how meaningless it is in most MMOs and feel there's no sense of actual danger of losing shit, and/or you're looking for something far removed from the typical fantasy shit then you'll probably enjoy PotBS.

It's a lot of fun, and what's nice is that the economic, PVE, or PVP game doesn't suck up HUGE tracts of time. Its very easy to go into the game and raid in PVP for a few hours then log, or do a slew of missions, or go and tend to all of your manufacturing stuff.

2. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

has this been released or upcoming?

Edit: NM, I checked. Preorder available it looks like.

I think I might have to give this one a try. It looks like a lot of fun, actually.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008