Drink more water and lower cortisol. *study*

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by michael, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

1: Int J Sports Med. 2006 Oct;27(10):765-70. Links
    Effect of hydration state on testosterone and cortisol responses to training-intensity exercise in collegiate runners.Maresh CM, Whittlesey MJ, Armstrong LE, Yamamoto LM, Judelson DA, Fish KE, Casa DJ, Kavouras SA, Castracane VD.
    Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269, USA.

Exercise intensity powerfully influences testosterone, cortisol, and testosterone : cortisol ratio (T:C) responses to endurance exercise. Hydration state may also modulate these hormones, and therefore may alter the anabolic/catabolic balance in response to endurance exercise and training. This study examined the effect of running intensity on testosterone, cortisol, and T : C when exercise was initiated in a hypohydrated state. Nine male collegiate runners (age = 20 +/- 0 y, height = 178 +/- 2 cm, mass = 67.0 +/- 1.8 kg, body fat % = 9.8 +/- 0.7 %, V.O2max = 65.7 +/- 1.1 ml.kg (-1).min (-1)) completed four 10-min treadmill runs differing in pre-exercise hydration status (euhydrated, or hypohydrated by 5 % of body mass) and exercise intensity (70 % or 85 % V.O2max). Body mass, urine osmolality, and urine-specific gravity documented fluid balance; blood samples drawn pre-, immediately post-, and 20 min post-exercise were analyzed for testosterone, cortisol, and T : C. Except for heart rate measured during the 70 % V.O2max trials, heart rate, V.O2, and plasma lactate were similar between euhydrated and hypohydrated conditions for a given intensity, suggesting hypohydration did not measurably increase the physiological stress of the exercise bouts. Furthermore, hydration state had no measurable effect on testosterone concentrations before, during, or after exercise at either intensity. Regardless of exercise intensity, cortisol concentrations were greater during hypohydration than euhydration pre-exercise and 20 min post-exercise. Additionally, T : C was significantly lower 20 min post-exercise at 70 % V.O2max when subjects were initially hypohydrated (T : C = 0.055) versus euhydrated (T : C = 0.072). These findings suggest that depending on exercise intensity, T : C may be altered by hydration state, therefore influencing the balance between anabolism and catabolism in response to running exercise performed at typical training intensities.

2. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Hi, I upgraded your readings :cool:
    I wonder how it would hold for other stuff apart from cardio though.

3. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

yeah :hs:

I'm guessing it'd be similar

4. benny196

benny196 New Member

I'm sorry but I'm reading the article and it doesn't say how much water they were drinking, I just woke up and my eyes are still tired so I'm probaly missing it. Could someone please point it out for me?

5. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

(euhydrated, or hypohydrated by 5 % of body mass)

6. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

I wish my gf would read this. She is always stressed as fuck and never hydrated

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Word. My wife will drink a bottle of water a day.. annoys the hell out of me.

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

does beer count?

9. procrastinator

procrastinator New Member

I need to drink far more than I currently do. Currently working on ditching the soft drinks and taking water instead :hsd:

10. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Would be a good idea.

11. Deer

Deer OT Supporter

Something strange I have noticed. I was drinking almost 2 gallons per day at one point, felt dehydrated all the time, especially after workout. Thought it was creatine, etc. Heart would beat fast and I would feel anxiety unless I chugged a bunch of water. Thought I had diabetes or something. Anyway, I tried phenibut for a few weeks, then switched to weed. Both helped. Now I never feel anxiety, my heart rate is always normal, and I am drinking MUCH less water (not even a gallon, I'm probably not drinking enough).

Were my cortisol levels too high, and required excessive water consumption to get them down?

12. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

6 year old thread bump

and 2 gallons of water is way too much

13. Little Erve

Little Erve New Member

What about during hyperhydration?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.