MIL DREAD Weapons System v.turret-mount

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, May 13, 2005.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Imagine a gun with no recoil, no sound, no heat, no gunpowder, no visible firing signature (muzzle flash), and no stoppages or jams of any kind. What if you could mount this imaginary weapon on any military Humvee (HMMWV), any helicopter/gunship, any armored personnel carrier (APC), and any other vehicle for which the technology were applicable? Now imagine that it's real. :naughty:
    • No Recoil
    • Completely Silent
    • No Mussle-Flash
    • No Smoke
    • Jam Proof
    • Up to 120,000 Rounds-Per-Minute
    • Variable Projectile Velocities
    • Variable Firing Rates
    • Self Cleaning
    • Large Magazine Capacity
    • Lethal & Non-Lethal Capabilities
    • .306 & .50 Caliber

Reviews:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ranger-AO

link? :naughty:

3. Ranger-AO

Yeah, but metalstorm has nowhere near the capabilities of DREAD. DREAD can fire non-stop for months without jamming, overheating, or requiring cleaning of any type.

I'd go with DREAD. :wiggle:

4. KUBA

KUBA New Member

never heard of dread... i just know whydoyouwanttoknow likes metal storm becuase its from australia

5. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

Holy mother of :noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes:

6. Fearan

Fearan Guest

This dread weapon system peaked my interest. It seemed too good to be true...and I was right. I read up on the details on the weapon system on the patent site listed in a previous thread to familiarize myself with the system. Anyway, let me explain why it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be effective in combat.

As much as I believe that the "150 watt" power supply is dubious and 120,000 spm is misleading, these little trifles don't compare to the greatest flaw of all in the system...the ammunition.

First off, ball ammunition is highly inaccurate. The video showed a brief clip of the ammuntion hitting a target. The holes generated where highly dispersed and the target was most likely less then 50 yards away (most likely indoors). Kind of phases out the impression that these balls are one behind the other. Since enemy engagements many times exceed several hundred meters, it doesn't boad well for DREAD. However, accuracy is not my big concern. Dispersing huge quantities of ammo should make up for the inaccuracy . The thing that will stop this system dead lies in two words...BALLISTIC COEFFICIENT.

Its all well and good that the DREAD can out ammo at 2500-3000fps, but how much of that energy actually reaches the target. I ran some computations using a ballistic analysis system. What I found was horrifying...to the Dread.

My calculations for the ballistic coefficient of .308 dimpled tungsten balls arrived at roughly .055. A .308 smooth lead ball (44 gr.) has a ballistic coefficient of .043 (just for comparison). Obviously, the BC changes with velocity, but .055 is a good, and fair approximation of the BC. So a .308 tungsten dimpled ball would weigh about 50 grains and would have 999 or so ft/lbs muzzle energy when traveling at 3000 fps. Not bad until I saw the results under STP (Standard Temperature and Pressure). By the time it has reached 25 yards, its velocity was 2579 fps and ME in ft/lbs was 738. At 50 yards: 2195 fps and 535 ft/lbs. 100 yards: 1537 fps and 262 ft/bs. 200 yards: 914 fps and 93 ft/lbs. 300 yards: 711 fps and 56 ft/lbs. At 300 yards it has dropped 84 inches. those results are very telling. At 300 yards, the projectile would have as much stopping power as an airgun (albiet a VERY powerful one). The poor penetrating power of spheres (the USS Constitution and eary iron clads can attest to that) only adds insult to injury. Even if you boosted velocity to 5000 fps, the projectiles would only have 88 ft/lbs of KE at 300 yards. Do the math, and you will see the truth. The Dread is Dead. There is no way that the military is going to deploy a weapon sytem that is SO INEFFICIENT in ballistics test, and ultimately killing power. Muzzle Energy is one thing, but terminal energy is another.

I hope I didn't appear to be attacking the Dread. First time I read its literature I was fascinated by its possible potential. I still believe it can be used very effective in "less then lethal" roles and in close quarter combat.

7. Ranger-AO

:eek3:

That is all I can say. :eek3: