DraicKin's log v. christophers' base routine

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by TenSteel, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

6/7/05

First night of christophers' base routine. I need work on my squat form, it's shitty and I need someone to walk through with it. More or less disregard the #s for the squat.

Squat
    155 x 5
    160 x 5
    175 x 5
    195 x 5
    205 x 5

SLDLs
    95 x 5
    100 x 5
    105 x 5
    110 x 5
    115 x 5

Bench
    150 x 5
    155 x 5
    160 x 5
    165 x 5
    170 x 5

Incline DB Bench
    70 x 15
    80 x 12
    Chest was burning after this like woah.

Overall, a decent start, I suppose. Only thing I need work on is my squat, so the numbers will likely decrease later on once I get it down right and build up again. Also, I think rather than SLDLs I'm gonna do regular DLs next time (like a squat with the bar in front) since they seem a little safer.

Starting pics of me and Fitday screenshot for today to follow soon.

Starting weight: 190 lbs.

Fitday screenshot:
    [​IMG]

The rice krispie treat cereal isn't real ... I had about a 3" square piece of homemade rice krispie treats, and I really have no idea how to figure out the exact caloric amount of it. I figured the cereal seemed pretty close. :dunno:

*mods-- sorry for the deletion/repost, wanted to change thread title*

2. TenSteel

thanks to superbri007 for the :broly: compliment, but i don't consider myself :broly: yet. you'll probably remember my baseless pics from my superdrol thread. yeah, i'm that guy :o

so anyways, here we go. i know my bf is pretty high, hence why i need to build up a base and get some actual lean mass hapening so i can really cut later on. i'm gonna be bulking for a while, for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TenSteel

There was a 5 hour gap between morning snack and lunch today because of a bunch of driving around before I could get back to my house. But I think I made up for it later on in the day. Time for bed :sleep:

[​IMG]

4. TenSteel

Light Squats
    105 x 8
    115 x 8
    125 x 8
    135 x 8

Squat form is getting better. One of the gym staff watched my form, made some corrections. He thinks one of my problems with going parallel is that my calves are too stiff, so I'm going to work on stretching them out every day for a while to get them loosened up. After the corrections he made, the form felt much better, and became quite a bit more difficult once more leg muscles start recruiting. For the last set I tried Arnold's trick to hang the feet off a plate-- felt much different-- more stress on the quads and knees when going deep, rather than the hamstrings and calves.

Good Mornings
    85 x 8
    95 x 9
    105 x 9

Sweating like a mofo after this. Keeping good form is difficult, and I know this isn't very much weight. I'm not quite flexible enough yet to go completely parallel to the floor, but it's really close. I still seem to get a good burn across the hamstrings, glutes, and erector spinae.

DB Shoulder Press
    70 x 5
    80 x 5
    80 x 5
    90 x 3

90 lbs. was really pushing it for the last set. I wish the DB's in my gym could go up by 2.5 lb. increments. :hs:

Pullups
    0 x 3
    0 x 3
    0 x 4
    0 x 4

Could sneak in one more rep on the last sets as the tiredness from shoulders went away from the shoulder press.

Feeling really good right now, gonna go take a shower.

[​IMG]

5. TenSteel

[​IMG]

Today was Hawaii Day at my internship ... tons of food, and I wasn't gonna pass it up. Had a little taste of everything: teryiyaki meatballs, rum cake, pesto/sun dried tomato dip with little bread slices, and topped it off with a little virgin margarita. So there's probably at least 500 calories not accounted for on the Fitday since there's no way I can come close to figuring it all out now. Tomorrow's intake will be back on track :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  6. TenSteel

What up bishes

6/9/05

Squat
    115 x 5
    125 x 5
    130 x 5
    135 x 5
    145 x 5

Form is getting better, going deeper with more ease. I'll be meeting with a PT from the gym next saturday, since I have one more session left from a package of sessions I bought a while ago.

Bent Over Rows
    95 x 5
    100 x 5
    110 x 7
    115 x 8
    135 x 5

I think there was something wrong with my form here, couldn't quite seem to isolate the lats. Another area to work on with the PT. These numbers will likely decrease next week, so more or less disregard them. I'd rather have perfect form and less weight than doing it improperly.

Incline Bench (Barbell)
    95 x 5
    115 x 5
    135 x 5
    145 x 4
    Couldn't get the last rep on the 145. I'll probably back it down to 140 next time.

Tricep Extensions
    45 x 15
    50 x 12

Annnnd ... that's a wrap. I would upload my fitday for today, but OTUploads seems to be busted. Maybe later then. Macronutrient ratios were basically the same as always, but a bit higher on the fat intake today :dunno: Consumed about 4k in total. Go me.

7. TenSteel

6/14/05

Squats
    125 x 5
    135 x 5
    145 x 5
    155 x 5
    165 x 5
    Squat form is getting better, going parallel now, and getting more comfortable with more weight. I suppose this is the phenomenon of teh newbie gains? :dunno: :mamoru:

Regular DL's
    95 x 5
    115 x 5
    125 x 5
    130 x 5
    135 x 5
    My lower back felt freaking awesome after these. Still feels good today.

Flat Bench
    155 x 5
    160 x 5
    165 x 5
    170 x 5
    175 x 3
    Tried my best to put up 175, and made sure I had a spotter. I maxed out by the fourth rep, so I didn't count any past the third one. Thank God I had a spotter.

Incline DB Bench
    70 x 13
    80 x 12

And the obligatory FitDay pic.
    [​IMG]

8. TenSteel

6/18/05

Lunges
    80 x 8
    80 x 8
    90 x 8
    90 x 8

Holy crap, my legs were burning after the fourth set. A guy came up and showed me a way he did lunges with the dumbells in the air over his head :eek3: Much harder to keep balance that way

GM's
    95 x 9
    105 x 9
    115 x 9

DB Shoulder Press
    60 x 7
    70 x 7
    70 x 7
    80 x 6

The seat on the barbell shoulder press was messed up, so I was forced into using DB's again. I tried to put up a pair of 45's last week and it wasn't happening. I'm gonna try dips next week.

Pullups
    0 x 4
    0 x 4
    0 x 3
    0 x 3

I think I will do some weight-assisted pullups next week to increase my reps, since feel like I'm maxing out too early.

Overall, pretty good workout for 9:00 at night, and no creatine like I usually take.

Annnnd the fitday screen:
    [​IMG]

I feel like I'm getting stronger, though I can't notice any obvious differences in my appearance in the mirror. It does feel like I have a little more muscle in chest when I flex. My mom told me yesterday she thought my chest was looking bigger. :dunno:

9. TenSteel

And today's fitday

The hosptial had staff appreciation day or something like that ... good free pasta and stuff from some local catering service I couldn't pass up, so there's probably about 500 calories or so unaccounted for on here. And knowing me, I might eat a little bit more before the evening is through. g'night brolies. :sleep:

[​IMG]

10. TenSteel

so this past saturday i got 0wned at the gym by one of the pt's. he showed me how to do squats the right way, then had me doing burpees with a jump at the end afterwards. i literally could not do anymore lifting after he worked me out for about a half hour. he basically told me my squat form was atrocious, but i now i know how to do it right-- he had me going a little further than parallel, and from what i was doing beforehand, i wasn't even close. with the way he showed me, i could barely squeeze out a few sets of 95 lbs. :wtc:

so, all in all, it was a little blow to the self-esteem, but i now i know what i need to work on. the squat weight is going to come down AGAIN unti i can do this right. wish me luck folks, i have a lot of work to do.

ever since i've been bulking now, i'm already noticing some fat gain. i weighed myself yesterday and i'm at a stocky 196. hopefully some of that is muscle gain, and i still can't notice any visible differences in muscle gain :hs:

11. TenSteel

Squat
    75 x 5
    85 x 5
    95 x 5
    105 x 5
    125 x 5
    Probably could have done a litte more weight, but I was really meticulous about watching my form this time-- faced a mirro to watch once my femurs hit parallel.

DL's
    100 x 5
    115 x 5
    125 x 5
    135 x 5
    140 x 5

Bench
    155 x 5
    160 x 5
    165 x 5
    170 x 5
    175 x 3
    Dammit, still can't get up 175 without a spotter.

Incline DB
    70 x 14
    80 x 7

Fitday
    [​IMG]

12. TenSteel

6/23/05

Lunges
    70 x 10
    80 x 8
    80 x 9
    90 x 8

GM's
    105 x 9
    75 x 8
    85 x 8

So let me explain. A guy watched me, asked me what I was doing. I said "Good Mornings." So he proceeds to show me his way of doing GM's-- this kid was from Utah State, with what he said were some of the best strength training coaches in the country ... apparently the public has "a lot of misconceptions about proper weightlifting and form." He showed me his version of GM's, with the bar held in front, knees slightly bent, and pushing the pelvis backwards wit the chest protruding forward. The movement itself, at least for me, was very slight ... almost like rolling the hips backwards without bending at the torso quite so much. It's hard to explain, but it seemed to nail the posterior chain just as well. He said that I'd be able to go down further as I got more flexiblity later on. The biggest difference though, was how slight the movement was compared to regular GM's.

He also talked about squat form, saying that it was better to squat with the feet wider and toes pointed outwards,
    like this: \ /
    rather than this: | |
    his reasoning was that the standard squat form puts a lot of stress on the knees, and this method forces the hamstrings and glutes to work more than a standard squat. I will try his suggestions for squatting on friday.

Dips (Weight Assisted)
    80 x 10
    80 x 9
    70 x 5
    60 x 4
    Remember, less weight = harder.

Pullups (Weight Assisted)
    100 x 10
    90 x 8
    90 x 4
    80 x 3
    I burned out bigtime on the last two sets. I realized I had spent over and hour and a half at the gym after working with the guy from Utah state on my GM's ... probably way too long to be in there.

13. TenSteel

6/26/05

Suats
    115 x 5
    125 x 5
    135 x 5
    140 x 5

Now I think I have some true numbers, no more jumping around like previous weeks, since I finally have the correct form down ... I'm finally hitting parallel now. I was told squats should be the most intense exercise someone can do, and I see why ... I'm sweating like a mofo into the second or third set. 140 lbs. was perhaps pushing it a little bit ... seemed to lose form on the last couple reps, but that should be remedied soon.

Bent Over Rows
    75 x 5
    85 x 5
    90 x 5
    95 x 5
    100 x 5

Incline Bench
    85 x 5
    95 x 5
    115 x 5
    135 x 5

Probably should've started with more weight so I would have had more burnout.

Tricep Extensions (Rope Grip)
    45 x 15
    50 x 12

Pretty good workout, although my nutrition was less than good since I've had a stomach flu or something all weekend, so I didn't want to eat much. And my schedule has gotten a little messed up since I usually workout on Saturday, not Sunday. This Tuesday I'm going to a baseball game, so a workout is nixed for that day. Somehow I'll fit two more sessions in this week and get the schedule back on track.

14. TenSteel

6/29/05

Squats
    120 x 5
    125 x 5
    130 x 5
    135 x 5
    140 x 5

DL's
    120 x 5
    125 x 5
    130 x 5
    135 x 5
    140 x 5

Man, I really like DL's. I've made a friend at the gym who used to be a trainer there, and he watched my form and said it was really good. He suggested a slightly wider than shoulder-width, with the toes pointed outward at 45 degrees. This changed the feel a little a bit, allowed me to stay a bit more straight when making the downward movement.

Bench
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    145 x 5
    150 x 5
    155 x 5

Ok, so I'm realizing now that my bench form is also shit, go figure. My grip apparantley needed to be wider, so I adjsted that and started bringing the bar down lower as well. Much to the rest of the forum's chuckle, I haven't been bringing the bar down to my chest like I should. Next time I bench I'll have to correct, and adjust the weight accordingly.

Incline DB Bench
    70 x 14
    80 x 9

Tonight I used one of the adjustable inclinde benches and created something like a 30-35 angle. Before this, I'd been using the seats on the fixed incline benches, which were more like 45-55 degree angle (much more vertical, seemed to work more shoulders than anything). I'll continue to use this method from now on, since the shallower angle seemed to isolate the upper chest more.

So it's pretty clear that almost every aspect of my form has been torn down and sent back to the drawing board this past month. Probably why I've been training for so long without any progress. Yeah, it's been a bit of a confidence drainer, but I hope in time with the right knowledge in my head that I'll finally be able to make some real gains, and lose this flabby physique once and for all.

15. TenSteel

7/5/05

Squat
    125 x 5
    135 x 5
    140 x 5
    145 x 5
    150 x 5

DL
    125 x 5
    130 x 5
    135 x 5
    140 x 5
    145 x 5

Bench
    115 x 5
    120 x 5
    125 x 5
    130 x 5
    135 x 5
    Again, the weight went down because of my poor form. Obviously you're seeing a pattern here. This is probably the reason I've been lifting for a while without very good results-- my form in the core exercises of any lifting routine has been wrong. This time, I lowered the bar fully to my chest to get the true range of motion for the press, and it was much harder than I've been used to for some time.

Incline DB
    70 x 15
    80 x 9

16. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

How tall are you?

17. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

wow... our #'s are pretty damn close. :wavey:

18. TenSteel

i'm 6' tall

and :bigthumb: to adrenalin. i just gotta keep at this ... someday i know i will have a strong base, but for now, i have to work at it

19. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

:coold:

i'm bustin ass to bench over 200 & have over 800 combined on my big 3. :run:

20. TenSteel

that's really good. i realized my bench form was sucking ass at 170 lbs ... i wasn't going near low enough. did you see my last set? only like 135 x 5 when i lowered the bar fully to my chest. :wtc:

21. Perplexed

Perplexed OT Supporter

You can DB incline the 80s for 9 but only flat bench 135x5? :eek4: You may want to check that DB form too...

22. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

maybe he means 40lbs in each hand :dunno:

23. TenSteel

:hsugh: Yes, that's 40 in each hand.

40 x 2 = 80

24. TenSteel

7/1/05

A little out of order here, I know. I forgot to post this one up, just saw the piece of paper on my desk.

Light Squats
    95 x 5
    100 x 5
    105 x 5
    110 x 5

GM's
    95 x 10
    105 x 8
    110 x 8

Neverminnd these numbers, as you can see from the more recent workout to follow, I had to drop the weight because I was recruiting too much lower back. I need to up my DL more before I can really do this much weight.

Dips (wt assisted)
    80 x 12
    80 x 9
    70 x 6
    60 x 4

Pullups (weight assisted)
    100 x 10
    90 x 9
    90 x 5
    80 x 4

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  25. TenSteel

7/6/05

Lunges
    65 x 8
    75 x 8
    85 x 8
    95 x 8

Instead of using dumbells, I put a barbell across my shoulders like a squat and stretched my arms out and let my hands wrap around the plates on either end of the bar. This allowed me a widened base for balance and I could increase the weight by smaller amounts, instead of just going up 10 total pounds from picking up the next increment of dumbbells. I liked it.

GM's
    45 x 8
    55 x 8
    65 x 10

Dropping the weight was definately necessary. This time there was much more of a stretch in my glutes and hamstrings ... I made the reps really slow to really concentrate on recruiting the rest of the posterior chain.

Dips (wt assisted)
    90 x 12
    80 x 9
    70 x 6
    60 x 4

Pullups (wt assisted)
    110 x 11
    100 x 8
    90 x 5
    80 x 3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.