MIL dragon skin body armor

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rellik, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Rellik

Rellik New Member

who else has heard about it? its made by this company called pinnacle armor and it has a chain-mail like system of "scales"... its had 100+ 7.62mm AK and 9mm MP5 rounds fired into it in one test with no penetration, in another they shot it up with an MP5, an M4, and an AK, then put a grenade under it... blew the straps off but still no penetration. it was incredible, nothing could touch it...

this is vs. the army's interceptor body armor that gives you a lot more hurt if you get hit, and the ceramic plates fail after three hits from high velocity rounds...

police, secret service and private contractors are using the dragon skin but the military wont approve and keep saying the interceptor is better (probably because it costs less)

2. JSin

JSin New Member

Or probably because they did a full study on it and published the results about 3 months ago. When that dragon skin gets heated up, the scales melt and all fall to the bottom of the vest. It doesn't stop any rounds after that, BTW.

There have a been a couple threads about this... search.

3. dontfrostthepie

dontfrostthepie New Member

4. JSin

JSin New Member

It's hard to take an objective study seriously where there is name calling and an obviously biased attitude. Unless the Army recently stood up the "Army acquisition mafia". But an interesting read.

The dragon skin president was present for all the Army testing, was he not? Plus they provided video taping for the entire test process...

Who exactly ran this test?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  5. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Anything coming from under and upward will go through it though.

6. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

it's also heavy as shit, the new "low profile" version is around 80lbs. What the fuck is low profile about an 80lb dragon skin chain mail looking prego vest? Seriously.... :dunno:

7. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

i would wear it....

8. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Holy fuck. This topic comes up so often it might need to be a sticky.

From this thread: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3245226&highlight=dragon+skin

9. Rellik

Rellik New Member

so whats up? all these other tests and videos show the dragon skin taking multiple rounds from various calibers and even a grenade, but when the army does the test they get penetration after the 2nd round? how does that work?

10. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

It's not safe.

11. Ranger-AO

it was pretty clear from the Army test data/video. Dragon Skin is good unless you test it in actual field conditions.

12. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

first off the products are still in development, and the problems they had were with the adhesive glue... from heat. Tell me we can't in this day and age make a glue more resistant to heat.

13. Ranger-AO

Tell me you would trust something that failed so miserably over something that has never failed in side-by-side tests. :ugh:

The makers of Dragon Skin knew this was a "make or break" opportunity for their company. They were given the testing parameters. They chose the material for their product. I know that after the test video I saw I would not trust their product.

14. JSin

JSin New Member

WASHINGTON � Department of Justice researchers have dropped Dragon Skin body armor from their list of acceptable protective equipment for law enforcement, the latest setback for the controversial bulletproof vests.

15. Rellik

Rellik New Member

kind of sucks cause the intereceptors with their ceramic plates fail after 3 shots and the dragon seemed to be impregnable...

16. JSin

JSin New Member

If by impregnable you mean it completely fails after its heated to temperatures we operate in daily in the middle east, then yes, impregnable.

Stopping 3 shots > 0

17. Ranger-AO

DOT