Draft Bill Could Unlock iPhones

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheWeasel, Feb 27, 2008.

1. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/08/02/26/law.could.unlock.iphone/

Good news for iPhone users as we already pay the price for the device but it could be bad for others that use cheaper phones which are discounted because of their contract requirement.

Cliffs: If this bill gets passed it would require the iPhone (and all other cell phones) to be sold unlocked.

2. JKwikkel

JKwikkel Active Member

That's awesome hopefully it will help consumers realize the true cost of moblie phones. Everyone I know thinks my iPhone was a complete ripoff at $299 so for $9.99 their RAZR is superior.

3. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

It is already illegal to lock a phone to a particular carrier. ATT must unlock the phone on your request or face federal fines.... getting it done however will be like pulling lions tooth.

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Where did you get this info? I would think that if it were legal, someone would have already challenged it and we'd all have unlocked phones.

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

wrong wrong wrong. There is no law concerning the legality of this. Most carriers will do it as a courtesy after you've been under contract, without any outstanding bills, for some number of months.

6. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

ibFailureToBeBroughtToAVote :hsd:

7. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

:ugh: out, companies can stipulate whatever the fuck they want, don't like it, don't buy a cell phone from them

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I would agree with you if the market wasn't already as anti-competitive and anti-open access as it is. Wireless spectrum IS a public utility; the fact that it costs so much to own doesn't mean that companies should be allowed to monopolize it IMO.

I'm all for letting companies do what they want, so long as rules exist to keep the marketplace competitive, and I think most people would agree that the US cellphone market isn't truly competitive right now.

Imagine if you had to buy a new TV every time you switched cable providers, you would be out in the street tearing up shit. This situation is roughly analogous to switching your phone from AT&T to T-Mobile, or any other carrier in the US. Why let it fly for one industry, but not another?

9. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

:bowrofl: fucking word.

bitches dont know shit about the real price of a cell phone

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

True. But my blackberry > your iphone.

If my understanding is correct, that doesn't say that EVERY handset has to be lock-free... Just that the carrier must offer lock-free hardware. So it sounds like as long as they clearly tell you that you can pay more to not have it locked, it doesn't really seem to interfere with their current practice of offering a cheaper phone with a lock.

So in the aspect of hardware, it's business as usually for MOST customers... Since most people will agree to a term for cheaper hardware. This only helps those that would otherwise be willing to pay more NOT to have a contract. It simply promotes a more forward approach to explaining the terms and conditions.

Actually the only real change is that carriers like AT&T and Sprint that REQUIRE 2 year contracts to start accounts for their good rate-plans, will now have to offer monthly-term rate plans with minutes/benefits to match their contracted plans. Sprint currently does not offer any monthly-term plans for new-customers. AT&T does currently have monthly-term plans but charges more for minutes comprable to a lower-cost 2YT plan.

Correct me if i am wrong.

11. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

This is pretty similar to what was going on with telephone companies in the 60s. If you had an AT&T line, you were required to have an AT&T phone and phone jack. Eventually though it went to court and was changed. Looks like that's what's happening with cell phones right now.

And potroast, you're right, that will probably be the case, you'll just have to buy phones for their retail prices if you want them unlocked or just get them cheaper if you buy a plan with it.

12. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

:hsugh: When I worked at Radio Shack in high school we would still get lil old people coming in and amazed that you could buy your own phone. Fucking phone companies are still taking advantage of them and charging them $5 a month to rent a phone. :squint:

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Just because you CAN get your own phone doesn't mean the phone company has to STOP selling you theirs. It's a lease. And if they call customer service they will remove the fee in a heartbeat and not even argue about it.