TAT Downside of gun?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by auveeb, Sep 11, 2005.

1. auveeb

auveeb DATS CUTE

What is the downside of getting your ear lobe pierced with a piercing gun? (As opposed to getting it done with a needle)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  2. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

From what I've read:

Higher risk of blow-out & more likely to end up keloiding...this is if I'm remembering correctly. That and the fact that with older guns you couldn't completely sterilize it; newer guns (of the ones I've seen) have a disposable portion; they throw out the whole piece that actually pierces & touches the skin, and then pop in a new one for the next customer. At least with a needle you can be positive that you are getting a new needle & the old ones are thrown out; your piercer should open the needle right in front of you & then show you as they dispose it...as well as showing you that they can be sure they don't just pull it back out of the trash because you can see the pile of needles in the trash that have been tossed after use. :)

On a side note; I had my lobes done with a gun back when I was 12 (most recently) and I am now 21 and haven't had issues yet (aside from nickel allergy)...I must be lucky lol.

3. auveeb

auveeb DATS CUTE

Ah, when do you think is a good time to switch from the piercing earring they originally give you to the earring of your choice? It's been a week for me so far, and there isn't really much pain involved with the piercing at all, except for when I try to turn the earring like the lady at the place said...

4. Cherryfire

Cherryfire "If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci

1. Its much more painful than piercing with a needle. Take a good look at the back of a standard "claire's" earring stud. Its blunt. Now imagine shoving that blunt object through your ear rather than using something with a beveled, sharp edge, like a needle. Ouch. A needle can be inserted almost just as fast, with precision, and with much much less pain.

2. Despite the "newer gun" technique, the gun theyre actually using is NOT disposable. And going back to the bluntness of the earring being shoved through your ear topic, during that painful process, microscopic bits of skin/cartilage/blood go flying onto that gun, making it instantly an unsterile object. And so when youre getting pierced, your earlobe is an unpleasant distance away from the previous 62 people that got pierced with that gun and all the blood, skin and god knows what that flew from them onto the gun. Sick. Not to mention unsettling and unsanitary.

3. Do you really want some 18 yr old kid with a summer job piercing you? :ugh:

4. Those guns are pretty much a "one size fits all" deal. Fat earlobe, skinny earlobe..whatever. Theyll just pop an earring in you. Theres no accounting for swelling and as a girl that unfortunately had her ears done with a gun at 14, i can tell you from experience that my ears swelled so hard against that hard metal backing that they ached and ached for weeks. And then they started oozing pus. It was a horrible experience. They say you should heal in 6 weeks....(and they also inform you to "twist the earring daily"....a HUGE no no that only irritates and exacerbates your pain and delayed healing, which serves to illustrate my above point of "do you really want some 18 year old with a summer job piercing you"...the advice they give is just idiotic and uneducated.), but it took me months and months until the infection cleared and I felt comfortable wearing earrings normally.

5. auveeb

auveeb DATS CUTE

God, you make it sound so bad :eek3: Gah, guess I should have taken all that into consideration, but it wasn't at Claire's, it was actually at this popular jewlery place where everbody around here gets their ear pierced (which..makes...the situation..worse :wtc:). I barely felt ANY pain at all, to be quite honest..and I'm a 14 year old guy..

6. Cherryfire

They pierced you at 14??! Christ. I wont even go there. Congrats on the piercing. Heres my advice. Use a warm sea salt solution instead of the cleaning solution they probably sold you. Its much milder and promotes healing and dead tissue flushing (a normal part of healing). You'll want to mix it to a light solution, not too salty. It should taste like saline..or tears. Also, stop twisting it. That is terrible advice and will only cause you undue pain and serve to irritate your piercing. Take ibuprofen to help with the swelling.

Good luck. :)

7. auveeb

auveeb DATS CUTE

Ah, thanks a lot CherryFire :)

8. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

The earrings they put in with a gun are not blunt on the back like normal earrings you buy after the starter jewelry. The starter jewelry has a sharp, beveled tip. I've had my ears pierced 4 times in the past with a gun (all through the same hole though) and each set of starter jewelry had sharp beveled tips. :)

I also believe he said he was 14yrs old, not that he was pierced at a 14g. :mamoru:

Here's what I was talking about with the guns (first type); the whole portion of the gun that makes cuntact with your ear is disposed of & the gun is cleaned. So regardless of whether someones 'bits' got on the gun, the part they would land on is disposed of, and if they were to land on any other part of the gun it wouldn't matter with the disposable ones since your skin will never make contact with the portions of the gun that aren't disposable.

There are several piercing guns in use today. Each type of gun should be cleaned according to the following:

• Ear piercing guns designed for use with disposable sterile cartridges. After each client, disposable parts are discarded and the gun is cleaned with soap and water using a brush. We dry the gun completely with a single-use towel. Wipe the surfaces of the gun with a recognized disinfectant (10% bleach, 70% isopropyl alcohol or 6% hydrogen peroxide). The gun must then be stored dry, in a clean, disinfected case between uses.
      • Guns can be completely disposable… after each pierce the entire gun is thrown away.
      • Ear piercing guns designed for use with pre-packaged studs on an integrated platform (earrings are manually loaded) must be cleaned and then sterilized. These guns have no disposable parts and these guns do come in direct contact with the ear. Check with the operator to make sure that they have an autoclave or chemiclave to sterilize this gun before you get any piercing.
    I'm not saying that a gun is the best way to go, I'm just pointing out that newer guns have gotten alot better about contamination than their older counterparts. Alot of newer guns have also left behind the spring loaded style in favor of a "push through" style where the pressure on the trigger by the person piercing is what pushes the stud through.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  9. Cherryfire

IreLynx,

Helpful information. The "omg! 14 !" remark I made was actually in reference to his age, but I had forgotten about the parental consent thing. Hell, I think I even said that I was 14 when i got mine done. :mamoru: Anyway, realized it last night but didnt feel like editing.

Even if the earring used in the gun is pointy..(and yes, going through memory, i remember what they look like), its still not needle sharp and comparatively is a lot more blunt. They also have those ridges that help it lock too, right? I can remember tugging in pain on those things, trying to get it to open up a bit as my ear was so swollen against the back.

As far as sterilization goes, Isopropyl Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide are NOT suitable disinfectants at all. Its a nice gesture...and one believed by the public to be "insta sanitizers", but they are in fact useless against germs. If not, you wouldnt need the autoclave, you could just set the jewelry/gun/etc in a pool of that, couldnt you? We use these two agents at work on a daily basis. The alcohol is sometimes swabbed over an injection site before we give a shot and its a known fact that it is done merely for the clients visual benefit. It is in no way sterilizing the site. The peroxide we use only for cleaning up blood, as it is terrific at lifting organic stains.

Anyway, not meaning to argue with you directly. You put up a terrific arguement, its well thought out, articulate and easily read. You also admit the gun may not be the best way to go. I just feel strongly about the topic and so feel compelled to toss in my $0.53. :)

10. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

That large bulleted list about the guns was taken off of a website, not my words, and I forgot to throw the link in there lol.

I'm pretty sure the starter jewelry is needle sharp though. My fiance had his done with a gun not too long ago & those tips on the stud are very sharp; sharp enough to push through the lobe with very little pressure. I do agree with the locking (notches) though; those were a pain. When I had mine done & redone (ages 3, 6, 7, & 12 lol) my ear was constantly swollen from the nickel in the gold, and I just couldn't seem to move the backing back at all to relieve any of it. Had I know about piercing shops at the time then I would have went to one to have it done with a needle instead, but at that point in time I had only ever seen lobe & cartilage piercings done through all of the local hair stylists...that and I don't believe we even had any local piercers at the time. The nearest one was probably 1-2hrs away, and when you live out in the boonies you never really hear much about places and events outside of a 15mi radius. :rofl:

11. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

those studs are nowhere near as sharp as a needle

12. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Pulled from bmezine

[size=-1][size=+1]piercing gun[/size]
    a piercing tool, ironically inappropriate for piercing[/size]
    [size=-1]A piercing gun, traditionally used by mall-stores for piercing ears, is typically inappropriate for piercing of any kind, especially body piercing. Almost all medical professionals agree that piercing guns can not be adequately sterilized (an alcohol wipe is NOT sterilization); which means that in theory they are capable of passing hepatitis and other diseases.[/size]

[size=-1]In addition, experience has taught the industry that:[/size]

• [size=-1]Ear piercing studs are dull and tear through the body causing unnecessary scarring, pain, and other complications. [/size]
    • [size=-1]Ear piercing guns are inaccurate and not designed for piercing most body parts resulting in improper piercing placement. [/size]
    • [size=-1]Ear piercing studs are the wrong size and too short for most piercings resulting in swelling, rejection, infection, and many other problems. [/size]
    [size=-1]Any "piercer" using a piercing gun should be avoided.[/size]

[size=-1]See also http://www.bmeworld.com/heidi/guns.html. [/size]

13. utanthony

utanthony New Member

:eek3:

piercing the same exact location 4 times probably isnt the greatest idea, even with a really long waiting period between piercings. all that does is create more and more scar tissue. but im no expert... thats just my opinion

14. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

The holes never fully closed each time; only the back half of each hole had partially closed. I had to remove the jewelry each time I had them pierced because nickel & I just don't work out well. So my ears were pierced from 3-4. Then at 5 I wanted them done again, but the reaction was so bad (14k gold) that I had to take them out after a couple months since they weren't healing. Then at 7 (18k gold) I could only muster the courage to get one done & went back a week later to get the other one done...after 2 months of pain & irritation I decided to see if I could switch the jewelry out in the hopes of not getting a reaction; it hurt bad to pull them out, and then they were so swollen that I couldn't get anyhing in them, so I just gave up & took both out. At 12 I went back, had them done (24k gold) again; they still couldn't tolerate the jewelry, so it took 2yrs for them to heal enough that I could switch out the jewelry without them closing up and sealing shut. Even now, I still don't do well with anything but sterling silver; everything else makes my lobes swell, itch, ooze, and painful to pull the earring out...haven't tried titanium yet, but I assume I won't have a problem with that.

On a side note, bmezine did review a piercing gun of one of the newer ones I was referring to (push style with disposable cartridge), and their response was that it was an improvement and was fairly decent (referring to lobe piercing aspect); their only mentioned downfall on it was that the cartridges fell apart quite a bit.

http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20050131.html

15. xela

xela So say we all!

If they know these guns aren't sterile then why the hell are they still allowed to use them?

16. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

do you mean stainless steel? because sterling silver contains the same, if not more, amount of nickel as gold.

17. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

its the 'traditional' way to pierce ears so the health depts are just letting it slide for now.

18. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

there is legislation on the way to start banning them in the states (I believe some states are already banning them). Hopefully Canada jumps on soon. There is more then enough research to ban these guns. I would never trust some 18yo summer student to inflict any pain into me. That's why I go to my milf piercer... she does a great job :naughty:.

19. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

im pretty sure Winnipeg has legislation banning them as well.

20. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

it is just a matter of time. I know the health inspectors in my area are really riding places like Claires that do piercings in the mall with guns. They are always down there checking out their gear for any possible screw-up.

Our health inspector in our area is really cool. A few weeks ago i was having coffee at my piercers when he dropped by for a random inspection. We got into a conversation about places like Claires and they sack ride them hoping they screw-up since they KNOW it isnt safe, though they can't enforce it due to red-tape. :hs: