downloading windows vista

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by piratepenguin, Aug 21, 2007.

1. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

hey guys.

friend of mine brought over a borked Windows Vista laptop today. Windows explorer constantly needs to be restarted, so I can't do shit on it.

I wanna format and reinstall Windows. Wish I could install XP, but he doesn't have a license/key for that. He does for Vista.

Does MS offer a download for the Vista install disk? Because I don't think he has it.

Cheerio.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

one should have been included when he purchased the machine. If not, you should be able to just pay shipping on the cd when you prove to microsoft you have a legit coa;

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Alternately, take it to a computer shop and have them reinstall using their disk and your code.

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

That's what we suspect happened somehow.

I can't find a fix after a bit of searching. Something about switching to GNU/Linux has really reduced the patience I have for fixing this fucker up. I'll download Vista Home Premium and just install it. That might work pleasantly.

Thanks for your contributions deus and jolly. Doing this completely legally is, as I'm not surprised, most inconvenient.

Or dontbehatin45, do you have any idea what exactly your friend downloaded or how he got it fixed?

5. deusexaethera

Taking the computer to a computer shop is not so much to ensure legality as it is to ensure that the install will be done with an OEM disc that is compatible with your software key.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

That's the thing about the "right" way. It's not usually the easiest way. But that's what seperates the men from the boys. That's when true colors show through. That's when a persons character will be apparant.

I mean if everything was free, few would steal. However, everything is not free, and people are jealous -- and weak character leads to devious behavior.

7. deusexaethera

People would still steal even if everything were free, because some people would be too lazy to go wherever the thing came from to get their own. These are the people who really need to be in jail.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you'll never get rid of it, because some people are simply "bad". However, the effect would be different if things were free.

9. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

The way I work it out is I do what I believe to be the right thing regardless of convenience.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

given your handle, I'm not sure what you believ eto be right is necessary the right thing to do.

11. deusexaethera

There is no greater definition than his perception, however. There are only other, conflicting perceptions.

Shit, considering the number of people who will readily admit to knowingly doing the wrong thing out of spite, or for lack of any better idea, or whatever, then if he actually does what he thinks is right all the time, that means he's a better person than most, regardless of whether his definition of right jives with anyone else's.

12. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

One of us might be a better person than most others? OH MY GOD!