Downloaded some movies in AVI format. How to burn playable DVDs??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by attomica, Jun 8, 2008.

1. attomica

attomica Active Member

Okay, so I downloaded some movies via torrent and now have them in AVI format. How can I burn them to play in a regular (older) DVD player? I have Toast 7 Titanium. Does it make a difference if the blank media is +R or -R? I tried burning a -R DVD in Divx format and that didn't work.

Any other advice or suggested applications (if Toast won't do it) would receive great gratitude.

Thanks.

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

you need to convert them to the mpeg2 format that dvd players read. toast will do this for you, but it is pretty slow. Visualhub is better. -r media is usually the most compatible.

3. attomica

attomica Active Member

Thanks. Since I already have Toast, I'd like to use that. Speed isn't an issue. Can anyone tell me how to get Toast to encode this mpeg2? What settings must I select?

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

use visualhub, its awesome

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

you just click the button to make a movie dvd instead of a data dvd.. havent used toast in a while but it definately does do it.. check the help.

when it comes up converting and takes about 2 hrs you'll know you've done it.

6. attomica

attomica Active Member

Okay, so I got VishualHub. Do I just drag my AVI into the window, wait for it to process, and then burn the file it creates to DVD?

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

here are the settings i do. notice that i keep te quality as high as it will go (standard) and i have it set to author and burn. keep in mind that you will not get a menu.
    within the advanced options i set two-pass because it usually helps clean up the video a little. also i set my chapters at every 15 mins.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if you have multiple episodes of a show, you can burn a dvd like that too. you just add more files to the queue you just have to experiment with the number of shows vs. the quality of video you get. too many shows = bad quality on dvd

8. attomica

attomica Active Member

Awesome! Thanks.