Download speeds

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I test my cable connection and I get 3109kbps/219kbps. Now in limewire and utorrent I can't reach speeds of over 14Kb/s. Whats the deal? All ports are properly routed through my linksys wrt54G with Hyperwrt 2.1b firmware. I have called the cable company and they said they don't block any ports. I told them I needed to know for Voip and skype. I have tryed different ports with no success. Any ideas here guys? I'm gonna try and bypass my router once to see if thats the problem.

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Just because you have a 3 meg connection doesn't mean you're going to download at 3 megs all the time. P2P and torrents are downloaded from other users, not web servers, so your download speeds will suffer accordingly.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If they were throttling P2P ports, the level one phone support droids wouldn't know.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

I don't know about with Limewire but with uTorrent if you want to make sure it's configured correctly and there's no other problems any where else download OpenOffice.

http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/index.html
    Version: OpenOffice 2.1.0
    Language: doesn't really matter
    It's 111MB file...you can set the OS to Linux (w/ bundle JRE), which is 130MB, if you want a bigger file to try with to give it more time to build up speed.

Be sure to stop all other downloads and uploads before you run this test.
    It doesn't matter if you want OpenOffice or not, this is just a test torrent to test your connection and uTorrent configuration. You can delete the file later.

Give it time it build up speed, it's not going to be instant like it would from a web site.

If you do reach the right speed, then you're fine. The reason for the slow torrents would be because of a number of factors; few seeders or you're being snubbed. Look at the Peers tab. Of the people you are connected to, how many have a D in the Flags column (and I don't mean d and D, only D...big difference).
    Go here to understand what the Flags mean http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#What_do_all_those_flags_in_the_Flags_column_mean.3F

5. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

If there throttling p2p and BT's then you should force encryption in the uTorrent settings.

6. Kieffer87

I'm going to try the open office here in a minute. I realize how they all work but when I go home and take my pc with on a different isp I reach downloads around 1,000Kb/s on the same torrent and every song in limewire is done virtually in under 5 seconds. So that is what leads me to believe it might be somthing on my isp side. Any more info on how to setup force encryption?

Thanks for all your help so far guys this sucks downloading at 14Kb/s!!

7. Kieffer87

When I downloaded the openoffice it peaked at right around 14Kb/s just like everything else ARRH
    Seeds: 25(26) Peers 2(30).

What are some common ports that my isp would defenetly not be able to block?

8. Kieffer87

Today I switched limewire over to port 20 and was hitting 50K/bs!! Any better ports to use?