Down shifting

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Pringles, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I hope this is in the right spot, mods feel free to move.

During work I get an old toyota wagon that is manual. This makes it more fun to drive and the other day I was playing with downshifting. I never really got it down propely, but I got it to happen none the less. I was wondering if you had any links or sites that could tell me the real way you want to do it.

THanks,

Rewind

2. cnred

cnred New Member

you want to rev the engine just a bit to get the rpms up then put it in the desired gear.

3. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

Depends on what kind of downshifting...you either can do it for more power or to slow the car down instead of using your brakes. Engine braking is easy, well they both are, but engine braking a general easy tip is to try and match the tachometer needle with the speedometer's needle then go ahead and downshift a gear. Downshifting to speed up and use more power is easier yet cuz you just do it whenever, just don't miss or go into the wrong gear. Just go into a big parking lot and dick around, you'll get it soon enough.

4. Sane 007

Sane 007 Active Member

I never downshift to slow down. Not that its bad but i dont think its really worth it. It's really not hard to downshift if you want to go faster. you really can;t f up as long as your not dumb. "Going 70 in 5th and droping to 1st 2nd or 3rd " All cars are different i could tell you how to do it in my car but???? it wont help you any. just give it time

5. deviant

deviant rest your trigger on my finger

why would you downshift just to slow the car? that's why you have brakes...

...unless of course you like replacing your clutch twice as often and want the extra wear on your transmission...

6. Shnitzel

Shnitzel New Member

Sometimes you can do it to slow down if you dont have good traction with your tires, thus your brakes won't be as effective.

IE rally, hilllclimb, downhill, and iceracing

7. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Big trucks use it on steep downgrade hills for extra braking. On flat roads, I'll use brakes. On hills, I'll downshift and also use my brakes.

8. Cuidado

Cuidado New Member

somebody's never heard of revmatching :rofl:

9. deviant

deviant rest your trigger on my finger

it's still wearing on your clutch, ass hat :rolleyes:

and yes, there are times when it's beneficial (i.e. on ice or on a steep hill), but it's stupid to do it when you're just stopping normally.

10. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I'm not sure if you are talking about engine braking (as the above replies seem to assume) or just changing to accelerate again after you've slowed down. At any rate, the idea is to clutch in and rev the engine to the RPM you expect to be at in the lower gear, as you move the shifter, then clutch out. It takes some time to get a feel for the particular speed/RPM in each gear, but eventually you should be able to downshift smoothly this way.

A more complicated technique is double-clutching. When you clutch in, move the lever to neutral, then let the clutch out. Then you bring the revs up with the car in neutral, clutch in again, and shift down. You don't generally need to do this, but if the synchros in the transmission are worn it makes it easier to actually get the shifter into the lower gear.

11. joshts0

joshts0 Aprilia > *

I consider downshifting cheating.

12. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

:rofl: great thread that was

13. rkddb

rkddb Masturbation is on my mind OT Supporter

exactly.

clutch in, drop the gear, rev the engine to where the rpm would sit in the gear you have just shifted to and let up the clutch. couldnt be simpler

14. CasGallo

CasGallo New Member

not really, if you perfectly match up engine rpm with wheel speed in desired gear, no clutch wear. now as if anyone can do this probably not...

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dumbass. Once the clutch and the synchros are fully engaged, there's no slip, and no wear. All the parts do is spin faster. Yeah, that wears the engine down, but the actual amount that it gets worn down is probably too small to measure except over years and years of engine braking. Now, if you ride the clutch (hold it open a little bit) while slowing down, then yeah, you'll kill it in no time. Same with riding the clutch while speeding up, or driving at a constant speed, or waiting at a stoplight. But only idiots and people who prefer the smooth feel of an automatic do that.

Wait. That was redundant. Bah, nevermind.

16. groharlem

groharlem New Member

its stupid to downshift even if you revmatch.

Shifting into gear = wearing your synchro's, especially if you are downshifting from a much higher gear at a higher rate of speed.

Revmatching may save your clutch but won't save your synchro's from wearing to shit.

I only "downshift" if I know i'm not going to come to a complete stop. For example if i'm coming up on a stoplight that just turned green & the cars in front of me are starting to accelerate.....then i'll pop in the clutch, rev-match to 2nd or whatever & keep moving. But if I'm coming up on a light that is changing from yellow to red...i'll pop the clutch in, throw it in neutral & stop the car with the brakes.

17. atomic punk

atomic punk pretty hate machine

what kind of pussy trannies do you guys have where you're worried about wearing out the synchros? :rofl:

18. porambo

porambo New Member

What if you double clutch.

19. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

If you are rev-matching there is little to no wear on your syncrhos either. Syncrhos are there to alighn and get everything going the right speed for the new gear. If you get the engine going the correct speed (ie rev-matching) the synchros wont have to do anything. Now, most of us wont do it perfectly, so the synchros will do something, but its not as dramatic as you are making it. It would be no worse off than when you're flooring it and upshifting thru the gears.

Old school cars back a few decades ago didnt have syncrhos, and revmatching was the only way to properly downshift. So if you get really, really good at it... you can downshift and not cause any harm to your synchros. I beleive most commercial grade trucks you are required to rev-matchin in order to downshift.

20. D21X

D21X Ownz JOO

haha downshifting..........lets talk about heel&toe.....

21. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I doubt thats a good idea given what some of the people in this thread know about downshifting. If you cant do it between two pedals, you wont be able to do it while braking. I taught myself how to do it... and i've been messin with it for 4 years in my civic. I do it for fun, and in the hopes that one day my dream to be a pro racer will come true. Ha!

22. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

what the hell, what is so hard? when you're coming to a stop or slowing down, clutch in, put it in neutral & then let go of the clutch and use your brake pedal. Put the car back into appropriate gear once you want to move depend on the speed you're at.

23. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

and oh...

/thread.