GUN Double action vs Single action

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Blue98Jeep, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Blue98Jeep

Blue98Jeep Guest

I was looking at handguns and was wondering what the difference of a double action compared to a single action hand gun was?

Is there an advantage over one or the other?

2. taco

taco Guest

the advantage of a single action in an autopistol is a shorter, and lighter trigger pull.

the disadvantage of single action in an autopistol is for carrying purposes you have to carry it cocked with the safety on. the safety is just another thing that would need to be manipulated in stressful circumstances if you ever would need to defend yourself with your gun.

there is no advantage of single action over double action in revolvers. a double action revolver can be fired by cocking the hammer and have the same light short trigger pull as a single action. well most double action revolvers allow that some don't.

there are also other actions such as the glock safe action where it is cocked all of the time like a single action but has a longer and stiffer trigger pull than a normal single action and doesn't have a safety other than the safety that it de-activated by pulling the trigger.

hopefully what I wrote makes sense. I am tired and not thinking straight.

3. Blue98Jeep

Blue98Jeep Guest

ahh, thank you very much:big grin:

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

isn't the beretta 92fs SA whereas the taurus pt92 is da?

5. KW

KW Guest

The 92FS is a Double action/ single action pistol. When the hammer is not cocked, the trigger has a longer, heavier pull and it will both cock and fire the gun. Once the hammer is cocked(either manually by the shooter, or by firing the gun) the trigger has a shorter and lighter pull to fire the gun. It also has a dococker/safety mounted on the slide. If the hammer is cocked, flipping down on this switch will decock the hammer, putting the gun back in double action mode. The decocker/safety switch doesn't automatically come back up, and if left down the gun will not fire.

There is another version of the 92 that is double action only, and I don't think that version has the safety switch. As far as I know the PT92 uses the same system as the 92FS, except that the safety can be set while the hammer is still cocked, so it can be carried like a 1911.

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

so pulling the lever on the slide down past the safety position is the decocking mechanism?

7. KW

KW Guest

Yeah, so you could carry it with the hammer cocked and a round in the chamber and safety on if you chose to.