Dose anyone here use Debian Linux

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NorthernLightsFan, Mar 7, 2005.

1. I'm somewhat new with Linux and was wondering if anyone could show me how to download wall paper from this website http://www.gnome-look.org/content/s...an&user=&text=&sort=&perpage=10&scorefilter=0

I used to use Mandrake a long time ago ( I'm using Debian now ) and remembered having to do something like ​

CD

make

install

cant remember because it's been a long time

Do I need to open the download with file roller or save the download to disk also once the download is finished how to I go about installing it

:hs:

2. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

I use debian, but not with a GUI. What's your window manager, KDE or gnome?

3. I'm using Gnome for a desktop and Debian as a OS

Debians a little bit different then SUSE, I'm not sure but think Debian has a special location or directory to place fronts and wall- paper after they have been downloaded

Something like: location fronts/ etc int cd folder or something like that, it's been so long I cant remember

All I want to do is download then install the wall paper on to my desktop

With Windows I'd just download the file and wait for a pop up menu to guide me though the installation, I'll be ok using Debian after I learn how to download stuff from the net.

Thanks for the reply

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If you're using gnome, you should be able to save the wallpaper wherever you want (your home directory is probably good place, you'll be able to find it there), then right-click on the desktop, select "Change Background" (or something like that, I don't remember the exact wording), and find the file you downloaded.

5. Ok I downloaded and saved it to the home directory

The extension ends with Tar gz

I don't know how to extract and then install the file

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it

6. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

As to the 3 commands...

I think you are refering to

./configure
    make
    make install

7. I don't get it

The file is in my home directory

I tried to drag the file into the terminal and an error message comes up saying permeation denied

I think the commands something like tvf

I don't know I'm just trying to install wall paper lol

8. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

open up the terminal (dont drag shit into it).....type pwd and make sure you are in the same directory the tar.gz is in....type mkdir temp.....type tar -xvzf file.tar.gz -C ./temp.....the wallpaper will be somewhere in the temp directory after that, find it, then place it in the appropriate background/wallpaper directory under /usr/share (different WM's default to different locations)....but atleast you will have the actual background in /home/<username>/temp which will be a big step for you

9. Penguin Man

Yep, tar -zxvf will uncompress it. However, I don't think you should need to put it in /usr/share/whatever, you should be able to set the background with the image still in your home directory. This will avoid the problem of needing root access to put the image in /usr/share.

10. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

true, i was thinking to save him the hastle of working with the directories as much as possible by having it in the list when he browses possible backgrounds

11. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

you could probably just extract the tar.gz with fileroller in the GUI, and then go find the image file with gnome's change background
    no CLI stuff, would probably be easier

12. Penguin Man

Sounds like a good plan. Nautilus may even let you right-click on the image and say "set as background" or something.