Dorm room sub: DIY crew help me decide

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lemans23, Aug 23, 2007.

1. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

Okay y'all, I have basically two options for a dorm room sub. I can either get one of these:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-485

Or two of these:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-831

The dayton has the advantages of being cheaper, easier to work with (as I've owned 4-5 of that same model, so I know what it'll sound like), and has more surface area.

The TB neos have the advantages of having a much higher Vd, look better, and will ultimately respond better to the 70w amplifier I'll be using with them.

I will be mating the sub to a set of dual Aura sound driver "bookshelf" speakers with a dayton pressfit tweet. Chances are, I will not use a x-over (mainly because I have not the time, nor a program in that case to design one right now), so we'll see about the comb filtering with these tweets. Anyway, I'm expecting them to blend well, and even if not, the acoustics of a cheap ass particleboard desk aren't exactly exemplary, so we take what we can get. Any thoughts?

Here is my design for the dayton, making one for the TBs. It's 1.25 cubes or so (can't remember) at 34-35hz:

[​IMG]

Will update with the other designs.

2. lemans23

[​IMG]

Design for the neos

3. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I think the 5" ones will sound better. nice and responsive and not too loud to get you in trouble

slightly more cone area on the 2 "subs"

thsoe are damn cheap though

4. lemans23

No no, they just displace more air. And when doing that, it's like 60% more lol. The only reason why I'm asking is because this is my first year in a residence hall, and I'm used to two 12" MAWs and a SE 15 in my room. A little step down :big grin:

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

just run the beasts and piss people off anyway :dunno: :mamoru:

6. lemans23

Maybe I should bring my whole setup :eek3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't imagine running near 2kw through a dorm set of outlets :eek4:

7. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

thats pretty hot

8. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

if I were you, I'd look at getting a driver with bigger extension...those daytons are not gonna produce enough headroom or extension to handle subsonics.

have you looked at getting a SDX-15? it has an XBL^2 motor, will go deep and low, ultra clean.

9. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

btw...are those NatalieP's?

10. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

IMO that enclosure is tuned WAY too high for HT.

Depending on how much room you have I'd go with a 10" with more excurstion and a TL.

11. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I say go big or go home. My buddy had a 10 in his dorm room and everyone hated him but it sounded good lol. You could hear it 2 floors up and down in a completely cement building. :o

Nice setup otherwise. How much money do you have in your towers?

12. lemans23

Too late, already went with the 5.25s. And the box isn't tuned too high at all, as this isn't HT. It's computer audio.

13. lemans23

Yea that's where it's at. Fortunately, these 5s have enough reach to put most if not all 10" purchased subs to shame. If I DIYed a good 10", that'd be different, but getting cheap power from a plate amp is like getting quality tits from a 5 year old girl.

They're Dayton RS7s, which run at ~30 a pop, plus the shitty dayton tweeters are only 20 a pop. Tally it up, and that's the cost of one of the x-overs, so four times that plus wood is what they cost. The sound is unparalleled for under 5bills though.

14. lemans23

:hs: I'm a college student living in a 10x8 room.

15. lemans23

Nope, everything I build is of my own design :wiggle:

Unless the customer has one already :mamoru:

16. lemans23

I cranked out all three of these fuckers in two days. One afternoon-evening for the sub (cutting, building, prepping, carpeting), and I took from 10-3 today to do the speaks (cutting, building, prepping, roughing, vinyling). Had I taken a weekend on each, I could have made them so much better. But oh well, here's what we've got to work with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The main thing that I have noticed is that because the subs are 4 ohms a pop and I'm running them parallel, they tend to reach their mechanical limits very quickly (amp is 75 watts at 4 ohms). So, to rectify that, I will buy two more of the lil' guys and I'll cut two more holes in the box the next time I'm home. Hopefully it doesn't rip up my carpet too much. Oh well, time to see what the speakers sound like (sub is crisp and low, but as I said, the impedance is half of what it should be).

17. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Great job leemanz.

18. lemans23

Thanks jizzum. Anyway, I just auditioned them and WOW, for the money, these are the best I've heard. I am 100% honest when I say that. I usually say that about most of my speakers because of placebo, but I'm not joking in the least this time. The speakers and the subwoofer mate so well it's simply astonishing. Things have impact and the timbre is off the charts. Considering each of the little speakers was 4 and change, the tweets were 4 and change and the subs were 18 a piece, you won't find anything else this good for at least a few hundred more than the cost. This just completely reaffirmed my ideas of budget audio. However, the most surprising thing about this project wasn't the speakers of the subwoofer, it was this little guy:
    [​IMG]
    This is the amplifier used for the speakers. It is 25watts (12.5 a side), and it's the best buy in audio I've ever made. It seriously fits into the palm of your hand, and can push these speakers to the limit without distortion. It's such a quality product, I recommend it to anyone. I mean seriously, the thing is like 6"x4", and it sounds like a good class A integrated amp. No joke.

19. lemans23

Just in case anyone might want to take me up on my word and try these out, here's the design (yes, I'm giving away a free design :eek3: )

[​IMG]
    The tweeter is on the top, port is the bottom hole. The port is the 1"x4" flared port on PE.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  20. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Cools.

I just got done with my new HomeTheater not too long ago... 5.1 with more concentration on the stereo portion...

I'm enjoying my mains, and have ~$90 per side invested... enclosures and xovers included.

21. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

not bad, not bad at all... i love seeing what people come up with, when they DIY.

22. lemans23

:naughty: You and your mains.

But really, what kinda X-Over did you use? I didn't have time to make PCBs and etching, so I just got the cheapest PE xover they had. Turns out it works pretty good. :mamoru:

23. lemans23

Thank ya :wiggle:

24. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

i just built some new ones... with the PE .75 cubes TM enclosures. I got them from the Tent sale for $14 a piece...

Normally:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=302-734

Used the AA Poly Mids + Vifa XT25. They are sealed now, with plans for a 1.75" Flared Port. I ended up using some Boston xovers from my shop, modeled up pretty well... only temporary though. Ended up sounding great.

I'm using CSS FR125's 4.5" XBL^2 drivers with dual ports for my center channel. AA poly's and Vifa Textile dome for surrounds. The subwoofer is a single Soundsplinter RL-I in 1.2 cubes sealed downfiring, with a BASH 500watt plate amp.

I even built my own TV stand, and speaker stands. All out of voidless marine grade 13-ply birch...

It just satisfies me to no end, knowing that I have ~$700 in the 5.1 and how great it sounds... I'm only up to ~$1200 including the 37" HD LCD and all TV stand....

I love DIY... that setup should do great for your dorm LEEMANZ.

25. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i :love: vifa