Door Rattling

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I had my focals installed and the doors rattle. Anyone ever heard of having to deaden doors because of a pair of components. :wtf:

2. 04

04 Guest

Perhaps you didnt install them correctly? Were they rattling before you installed the Focals?

3. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Sound deadening isn't only for the trunk. The first thing I did in my car were the two front doors.

4. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Door panels are exactually sturdy strutures with a little sound deadning your rattles should go away. Are your components amplified?

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I had the shop take the door panel off and look. They didnt find anything. Put the door panel back on and the rattle seems to have gone away. I think they didnt install the speakers correctly.

Heres what they did. The amp is a sony xm 3040f. 100w rmf.
    4 channel amp. They said they used all 4 channels. One for each speaker of the components.

1 channel for each tweet
    1 channel for each speaker

== 4 speakers.

The amp is a 600 watt amp. (thats what they told me) I thought it was a 200 watt amp.

The back two speakers they left in there and I have no idea how those are getting power.

Plus the amp's volume is turned down halfway.

Like I said the rattling is gone but it sounds like the speakers blown. I know its not though. I heard it in the car it was in before and it sounded fine. Im clueless on this.

6. 04

04 Guest

hmm, did you tell them to run one channel to each individual speaker?

So you are sure its not the door panel thats making the rattling noise?

7. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I didnt tell them too. They said the power would be too much for the speakers so I said well couldnt you run one channel per speaker. that's all I said. It really sounds like the speaker dude.

8. 04

04 Guest

they are ignorant when it comes to audio installation obviously. They should have just bridged the amplifier and run each bridged channel per speaker, and use the crossover to divde the correct frequencies.

That still unfortunatly doesnt explain why the door is rattling. :(

9. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Im pissed.

I took the car to another place and had them look at it but a little backgrond info first.

When I took the car in for the install I showed them the amp I had. I told them was an old ass amp and needed to know if it would work for pushing just the focals. The amp didnt have any of the screws for screwing down the wires. They searched and found 2 and used those two screws to test out the speakers. They then said the amp was good. Then when they installed the speakers they didnt use all 4 channels b/c they didnt have the screws for all 4 channels only for 2. So they ran one channel on the left and one channel on the right w/the amp set to mono. There are 3 speakers on the left and 3 on the right. They bridged both sides. So basically 6 speakers using 2 channels w/ both channels bridged. I went back and talked to them and they said that even though the amp is set on mono because the two channels are going to two diff. sides of the car the system is still set up as stereo. :WTF:

When I took it to the new audio shop they said they had the amp bridged to 6 channels. I have no idea what he meant by this as it was only a 4 channel amp and I didnt have the oportunity to ask him. After they took the amp out and rewired it with 4 wires running to 4 channels they said that the stereo option on the amp didnt work very well. And they said because of the way it was installed the front right tweet blew. So they basically put 2 new screwes in the amp and charged me 25 bucks for it. They said the amp has some problems with it and is not good anymore becasue the stereo option didnt work very well and that he had worked w/the this kind of amp before and he has had nothing but problems from them. Its a sony 3040. 30wper channel.

Im wondering why they even used it in the first place. It doesnt have the power to run the focals like I asked. And im also wondering how they would know if the stereo option is messed up on the amp. Ohh plus they used 10g wire like LOUDSYSTEM said. Also included that they didnt even carry 10g wire and while its alright for my system as it is if I put a sub in there Ill need to upgrade. That's all I can remember right now.

Basically now I need a new tweet and a new amp.

10. 04

04 Guest

Well, they actually did set it up correctly in that case then (Assuming you have a 3 way component set)....

Thats exactly what I would have done (if you have a 3 way component set). Stereo seperation is still preserved. Running all 3 speakers in parallel is fine, because the speakers have a crossover network that keeps the system impedence close to 4ohms. Had they not hooked up the xover, that would have been a huge :nono: however. You are sure they hooked the xover up right? NOw, if he also hooked your rear speakers up in parallel as well, he is a complete idiot, run the other direction as fast as possible. Unless you have a 3 way component set, Store #1 is ignorant.

Store #2 is ignorant. "And they said because of the way it was installed the front right tweet blew." Absolute horseshit. Bridging an amplifier will not kill your tweeter any more than the other way. Unfortunatly I am not there, so I cannot for sure see how it was wired.

Why did you buy the Sony amp if it didnt have the right power? They didnt know that the stereo option was messed up, because it probably isnt. For an amplifier that does 30w x 4 channels, that is not too small of a wire.

11. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I bought the sony amp a long time ago to run two pioneer 10's. That was 7 years ago. What does parallel mean? Right now I have the amp hooked up so 4 wires are going to 4 speakers. Its prob. on mono. They said not to turn the stereo up b/c it could hurt the speakers. I dont know why? :dunno: Also what's a 3 way component set? The bridge looks like it has 6 diff. slots for wires is that what you mean? Ohh the rear speakers didnt have crossover's but they were run parallel with the other speakers.