door lock on 2001 honda civic wont work properly

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by taget, Oct 8, 2008.

1. taget

taget New Member

First off i know nothing about cars, that said here is my situation. I just bought a 2001 civic yesterday from a hole in the car car lot, and now the power door locks are not working right. The front passenger door does not lock at all, and when the driver door is open and i press the power lock button the driver door does not lock. The driver door does lock however if i close the door and use my key to lock it, or if i pull on the handle from the outside and push the door lock button down at the same time. It also locks if i am in the car and the door is closed, and try locking it from the inside. The Passenger door however just stays unlock the whole time no matter what i do.

When i press the power door lock button i here the noise that it is suppose to make but the latch just goes down half way and pops back up indicating that it is still unlock.

Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

The place i bought it from says they will fix it for the first month, and if anything happens after that it will be from my own pocket and i will have to find a place to fix it.

The guy that works at the place also said that the driver door is normal and all honda drivers side doors do this that it wound lock unless u do that trick then. Am i just really easily trick or is he lying? HELP!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. Dave

Dave This is no motherfucking game OT Supporter

Honda puts that security feature on their cars so you dont lock the keys in. When the driver's door is open you CANNOT lock it using the electric lock switch, thereby 'forcing' you to close the door and lock it WITH THE KEY. The work around is to grab the inside or outside door handle (like you did) and pull it open while the driver's door is open. You can then lock it with the electrick lock switch. Dont come on here whining when you lock your keys in your car now :o

3. taget

taget New Member

thanks for the tip, most of that was useful, still does not explain why my passenger door does not work properly.

4. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

It's an 8 year old car. The solenoid may be going bad.

5. ///M

///M New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (htc touch : Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/786; U; en))

On the passenger's side, of course

The driver's side "problem" you mentioned is normal on almost all hondas

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No offense, but you bought a cheapo used car from (as you put it) a "hole in the wall car lot". So...

1. Be glad the key lock works and quit bitching about the remote for right now;

2. Use the money you saved and go buy a factory shop manual. They're only $100 or so, and it will kick the living shit out of the Haynes manuals they sell at Autozone. Ask me how I know.