Don't roll without fender liners.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by el_gato_negro, Jan 15, 2005.

1. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

Especially if you have a CAI. :hsugh:

I left for work this morning. I didn't realize just how deep the puddle near my hous was (moreover, rain in January? :wtf: ). I hit the puddle and absolutely hosed the inside of my engine bay. The car started to stumble, so I hit the clutch. It stalled and I pulled over.

I tried to start it - nothing. Tried again, nothing. "Aw, fuuuuuuck...." I thought. I gave it a moment and tried. The engine struggled to life. I listened, and it idled smoothly. Whew.

So I continued to work. I noticed that I couldn't accelerate past 3000 RPM - it felt like the fuel cut was coming on. "No big.....probably still wet." So I got to work slowly, and without incident.

I parked the car; it seemed to be running fine. I revved it up to see how it responded. 3k....4.....5....all good. All of a sudden BUP it misfires. I let the throttle out immediately. Now it's running like ass.

Shit.

Well, nothing to be done with it now. If I've cooked the ignition or (God forbid) bent a valve I'll have to deal with it later.

So I go about my day, but inside I'm all :noes: Thank God everything dried out - it's running like a raped ape now. It still got a little hesitant in the wet weather, but that probably has something to do with the filter getting hosed by the passenger side front tire.

So, I've finally stopped procrastinating and ordered a new fender liner. :o :slap:

2. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Yeah, I learned that lesson a while back when I hydrolocked and shot a rod through the block.......

If it's still running right, consider yourself lucky and learn from your mistake.

3. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

I do, and will be putting on the new liner ASAP. I never had a problem with the liner in.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

semi-darwin-award right here. What did you expect?

5. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

I procrastinate sometimes. :o

It had a bit of trouble starting and idling this morning. Once it got going it was fine. :dunno:

6. elekt

elekt New Member

motor is fucked.

7. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

Wow.

A brilliant diagnosis from our very own OT car psychic. :rolleyes:

FYI, I added some drygas to the fuel and the car starts and runs fine. If you'd bothered to actually read my posts you would've seen that my engine was and is fine, and some temporary starting troubles were the only fallout from this incident.

The new liner should be here soon.... :x:

8. dan

dan New Member

I ran my car in the water, stalled and it ran fine after I set it to raim air intake. I ran over a puddle btw. Car didn't bend a valve or anything. Honda Civic Hatch > youse guys

9. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

get your compression checked, i did the same thing, bent two rods, and cracked another one, the cracked one later broke and shot through the block, and the pan

10. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

The level of illiteracy in this thread is astounding.

11. Rownan

Rownan SHIFT

Just because it seems to run okay now doesn't mean it will for long.. You could have damaged something, and diagnosing it now could save you a LOT of money...

If nothing was damaged, then consider yourself lucky..

12. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

Exactly how is a bent valve or cracked piston NOT going to be immediately apparent?

13. Rownan

Rownan SHIFT

You could have damaged the head gasket, or weakened a valve seal, or fried the MAF/MAP.

There are a TON of things that could have gone wrong which aren't immediately apparent.. If you're content with not knowing, then more power to you. I just hate to hear about engine destruction, especially when it could have been prevented with a little bit of care. :hs:

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a fried MAF should be pretty apparant... you'll run rich or lean, and that should be noticable enough (if it runs at all)

15. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

Yeah, I got an OBD II tester on it and it came up clean. It's not burning anything and accelerates fine. Fuel efficiencey is kinda worse than usual, but that's to be expected in serious cold weather (especially when your commute is short, like mine).

The puddle, while deep, was not deep enough to submerge the filter. If it continues to be wonky on cold starts I'll have to get it checked anyway.