Don't leave unopened soda cans in your car.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by deusexaethera, Jun 16, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Just don't. :(

2. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

3. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Don't feel too bad, I dealt with a lady who exploded 24 cans of Diet Pepsi all over the interior of her 2 door Kia Sportage.

Same lady managed to get oil into her windshield washer fluid- wanted to know what I used cleaning her wipers to "fuck up" her glass :ugh::rofl:

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I had a customer who not only left a 12 pack of Rootbeer in the trunk (two cans exploded) but a Stoffer's meat loaf dinner had been in there long enough the colors on the package were fading. Smelled like something died in there. For reals. :barf:

5. rengo

rengo Are you ready to rock, BK broiler!?

I left a can on my passenger seat while at work one day. As I was driving home it exploded. Scared the shit out of me.

6. Xandat

Xandat I'm my own wingman

I've left a can on my dashboard. I heard something hissing from my living room, when I looked out my front window it exploded.

7. deusexaethera

Bump for humor value.

8. BimmerJustin

BimmerJustin Why would you deny yourself something you want?

Thats why they make detailers, so they can get that shit out and charge an ungodly amount to do so.

9. Scottwax

That's why they make hack detailers-they clean pretty much anything. I don't clean that shit if I know about it in advance. I get calls about milk spills, incontinent grandparents, etc and I tell them I am booked up the next 4-5 weeks. They end up calling someone else. Fuck that nasty stuff.

10. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I play it like the contractors do and overbid by 150% if I really don't want the job. If they call back at least there is a big fat check coming my way.

11. BimmerJustin

BimmerJustin Why would you deny yourself something you want?

Everyone has to start somewhere. Did you tell them you were booked when you first got started in the business?

incontinent grandparents = :barf:, I think I would turn that one down no matter what, self respect FTW

12. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

For sure, I'm not cleaning up shit- as in actual shit. I think you have to have a HazMat cert for it anyway. I have done a minivan that the owner had an actual litter box in it, and on two occasions vehicles that were involved in a shooting (mostly remove and replace- not detailing).

But people call about water damage, laundry detergent spills, exploded soda, excessive body shop dust and other jobs that will take more time. I don't need them, but since I'm mobile I can have them regardless of the price I quote in many cases. That's why they make respirators and elbow gloves, amirite?

Sight unseen pricing and estimates are based on our industry standards. Milk spills, fishing trip remnants and old bananas stuffed into seatback cargo pockets are not considered 'average'.

13. Scottwax

I did a job that involved blood. I was told by a friend that a friend of his had some light blood stains in his car and wondered if I could get them out. Turned out the guy dropped a couple pints of blood in the passenger side footwell of a Ford Tempo on the way to the hospital. Then the car was parked in the sun with the windows up for 10 days or so before I was called. The stench when I opened the door was unreal. Like a rotting corpse. :barf:

Anyway, I just dumped water in and wet-vacced it out several times to get most of the blood out (and dumped the bloody water in his apartment complex parking lot-by the time I was done, there were a shitload of flies :mamoru: ). I finished it with Magnum Upholstry Cleaner and it looked mint. Then I swore if anything leaks out of another person, I am not cleaning it.

14. S13_Coupe

S13_Coupe Grip>Drift

haha, happened to me. Lucky me i left it in the center console so must of it puddled in there.

15. deusexaethera

I just noticed some splatters inside the glovebox. Time to do some more cleaning. (sigh)

Whatever, all in all it wasn't too bad. It made a mess, but only half the can actually sprayed out, and it did it with such force that almost none of it got on the seat. Thank god I didn't have it aimed up, or it would've hit the ceiling.

16. bmilt

bmilt New Member

Shit, over a year and a month ive probably detailed around 2000 cars at work, and the funniest shit ive ever found in a car was weed, and a lifesize cardboard cutout from Pirates of the Carribean lolol

17. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Wow dude, thats like 1 car every 1.5 hours for 395 work days straight. :bowdown:

I bet you've had to run your Makita at 3000rpm and line the cars up bumper to bumper and rollerblade your way down them to detail them all that quick.

18. Scottwax

I found a vibrating egg and controller, along with a Doc Johnson's sex toy catalog in a female customer's car (her ex-husband owns strip clubs). And this:

[​IMG]

19. bmilt

bmilt New Member

Probably not quite that much, about 8 cars a day every weekday for about a year and a half. i didn't do the math. we are more like an assembly line, we do everything inside and out basically, except carpet shampoo and waxing/polishing

lol more believable now?

it's probably not technically detailing this way, but its definitely more than just "washing cars"

20. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Cleaning cars is cleaning cars, detailing is just a matter of where the process starts and stops.

I've been in the same kind of production environments as well. Myself and a coworker used to compound/polish and do full interiors on 50-70 vehicles per week for a wholesaler. That's where I learned how to be fast, working for myself is where I came to become meticulous.

And we used to have a dozen or so inside/out no wax or rugs, the boss would mark them on our schedule with a 'PW'. Which was his abbreviation for Pickle Wash. :mamoru:

21. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Did you take it? :noes:

22. Scottwax

Of course not. Going to jail for snagging a grand or two wouldn't be worth it. :noes:

23. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

We had a bail bondsmen's Escalade at a GMC dealer I used to manage.

$20K + a handgun in the truck. The lube tech who worked on it after me said if he took it that it was more than his years salary. My customers are still impressed when they find their toll booth money stashed away where they left it.

At the same dealer, around the corner from the Police Training Academy- a cop bought a low mileage GS430. The SOLD tag got put on it over the weekend before he picked it up- the thing was on milkcrates by Monday morning.

24. Scottwax

I find guns in cars all the time, this is Texas after all. :)

25. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Fucking Texans.