Don't know what PSU to get? Check out this PSU calculator.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FusionZ06, Jul 17, 2006.

1. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wow, what a useless and misleading tool.

This tool ranks power supply requirements based only on wattage, which is a practically useless measurement for power supplies.

I would not recommend this tool.

3. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

You're a dumb ass...every post I see from you is buy fotron or sparkle :hsugh:

Read the top! The flashing ATTENTION gif

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Wow, so I make a TRUE statement, then you call me a dumbass (although you should note that you incorrectly spelled dumbass, which then warrants this following statement from me: "oh teh ironing") And then you point out a gif on the link that FURTHER ILLUSTRATES MY POINT!

Wow, you == tard.

5. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

No you're the tard telling people that Antecs are shit.

That calculator is a good way to get a basis for what you need. If you read the attention part it discusses the importance of having the proper voltage on rails etc. :greddy:

Me > You...Don't try :noes:

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

thus-far, you've done a supurb job at demonstrating that I > you.

Antecs are very shitty when you take into account their construction and the price they demand. They are no better than that bargain-basement no-brand PSU, yet charge as much as an Enermax! 9 times out of 10 you could have gotten a MUCH BETTER PSU for THE SAME MONEY (and sometimes even less)!

So if your entire argument is that you think Antec is anything but overpriced (lolosaurus-rex) and your only evidence is a link to a website that says exactly what I said (wattage is not important) then I think you have officially :Owned: yourself and should promptly leave this thread.

7. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Antecs are not shitty especially the Smart and True Power 2.0 series. They are very good PSU's for the $$$. Are there better PSU's out there? Sure, but not entirely necessary to spend the money. Enermax has been shit in my book nothing but trouble....I've owned several different brands of PSU's and Antec have been my choice for the money. I have heard good things about Fotron, Sparkle, and Seasonic.

The point is, you come across as some elitist prick computer guy very similiar to the way FBI-SS is about his music.

8. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

And you dumb faggot...

Taken directly from the link above:

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

God is angry at me and squeezes me until the poo comes out :(

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

They are shitty.

They are HORRIBLE for the $$$. That's my entire point! For the same money, you can get a PSU that is iotas better. Why buy a Silverado with the 4.8L engine when you can get the 5.3L and get more power and the same fuel economy? The only reasonable excuse is cost... The 4.8L can be had for cheaper in some configurations. A prudent person would find "cost" to be a reasonable justification for choosing which motor you wish to be equipped in your truck. However, with certain configurations, the 5.3L is cheaper, thanks to a "power" package discount involving the tow package. Given the same cost, with more power and equal fuel economy, a prudent person would not find it reasonable to not get the 5.3L. Likewise, if you can get a BETTER power supply for the SAME money (or even less) then a prudent person would not find it reasonable to purchase the Antec.

Enermax, Fortron, and Sparkle are all available for the same price points as Antec PSUs. And within these price points, Enermax, Fortron, and Sparkle all exceed the reliability, efficiency, and power output of their Antec counter-parts. Given this information, what reason would you have to choose the Antec? A prudent person would find no reasonable justification to purchase the Antec.

All of the Smart Power PSUs from Antec have been over-rated; Antec admits this. The Smart Power line of PSUs is marketed as Antecs "Budget" nameplate. Surprising, many find that this "Budget" line-up is anything but inexpensive. In fact, it rings in quite pricey compared to other "Budget" offerings. Unfortunatly, however, when opened up, the Smart Power provides little over the other (less-expensive) "Budget" options. To add insult to injury, Smart Power PSUs fail to come close to their rated power outputs when bench-tested; this wouldn't be so bad, considering that none of the other "cheapo" offerings approach their claims, but the Antec costs such a considerable amount more that this failure feels quite substantial.

The Antec TruePower PSUs have been critisized from their inception. Very few avid performance builders will use Antec products. The 550 has never been able to approach even the claim of stability. The addition of rheostats to "fine-tune" voltage further complicated the issue. The 2.0 series addressed cooling on a line-up of PSUs that were already far too hot (an indication that their efficiency is quite poor). The 120mm fan was an excellent idea, but was not much of an innovation when you consider it was introduced to provide a "band-aid" cover-up for a problem that has long-plagued Antec PSUs. 120mm fans can displace a similar amount of air when compared to 80mm fans, but can do so at a slower rotational velocity. This translates to adequate cooling with reduced noise. Due to the large thermal requirements in previous TruePower models, they were also known as loud PSUs. The 2.0 series addressed this not by creating a proper, more-efficient PSU, but merely by introducing more efficient cooling. About the only True Power worth owning is the 380.2, which is standard in the Sonata; coincidentally, this is one of the few Antec cases worth paying money for -- partially due to the 380.2 PSU -- which is also the only Antec model I'd consider using, and only for a basic office machine.