Don't know what I want....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris90210, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

I am currently between these degrees but not sure quite what i want yet. About half of people say do not go into this field while other say yes it is a good field. What are your thoughts. BS in Database Management, Networking, Programming, or Web Developing:noes: I am starting my second year of college and i have finished most of the stupid classes

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you like following someone else's design, pick any of the above. If you'd rather be the person doing the the designing, switch to software engineering.

And before I get jumped on, yes, I am managing a couple of development projects even though I've only been in the workforce for a year. Thus far the feedback has been all positive.

3. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

if you can disclose what is your pay like

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

$48k with a BS degree and no prior experience, plus a 401(k) that doubles the first 5% of my paycheck, and the 401(k) is vested instantly -- that means I could walk out the door five minutes after investing money in my 401(k) and the first-5% matching bonus would walk out the door with me. Most companies reclaim the matching bonus if you leave before you've worked for X years. The health insurance is pretty generous, too. It's a good deal for a first job.

EDIT: I dunno; 48k isn't a huge salary, to be sure; I've got a friend who works for AT&T and he's pulling down 60k a year with the same degree and the same experience I have. That said, he's working close to 60 hours a week, and I rarely exceed 45 hours a week. He also hasn't been able to save any money because of New Jersey's high cost-of-living, whereas I'm in Virginia which is more reasonable. He also gets almost no benefits, because of all the cost-cutting AT&T has had to do in the past, whereas my company is small and growing fast so the first wave of downsizing is probably a good ten years away yet. So your mileage may vary depending on how much whoring you're willing to do, where you live, and who you work for. I get a lot of stuff from my company that I'd have to pay for if I worked elsewhere.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006