GUN Dont know much about rifles, tell me something about mine.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by itchiban, Nov 28, 2003.

1. itchiban

itchiban Guest

I got these two rifles and I dont know too much about them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the only markings on the gun are "mod 98" on the side of the action and " /147 and 1938" on the top. You can kind of see it here. When I do a search on gunbroker.com for "mod 98" all i get is a mauser. But it doesnt look like the same gun i have
    [​IMG]

This one actually has markings on it, Interarms Mark X, 7mm Mag. Is this a decent rifle? I wanted a plinker but I doubt im going to get it with this thing because of the magnum rounds. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like the hairs are broken
    [​IMG]

Anyway, they were free pretty much so I wont complain. My collection is growing. hehe. :)

2. -RUNNR

-RUNNR Insanely truthful

First one does look like a sporterized Mauser. A modified for civilian use K98

Mausers are generally nice rifles. My M48bo packs a hell of a punch, and is pretty accurate considering it's age.

Neither of those would be a "plinker" however, as the cost of the ammo would become expensive.

And yes, ditch that scope, it's not looking too good.

3. Trouser Trout

Trouser Trout OT Supporter

Send the scope back to Bushnell. You never know, they may give you a freebie

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The first one is a Mauser 98, manufactured in 1938. The /147 is part of the ordnance code and from it, we can tell your gun's receiver was made by J.P. Sauer & Sohn.

The stock is an aftermarket sporter stock like Runnr said. After the war, many Mausers were brought to the US and restocked for use as hunting rifles.

5. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Thanks for the info, I didnt even know the caliber of this thing, I guess there were a few used by the Germans. :dunno: Anyway i found out that its 8mm, and I see that Corrosive ammo is real cheap to come by. like this. Anyhow, how bad is it to use corrisive ammo? And what are the differences in cleaning up afterwards? I want to go shooting but I dont want to buy this stuf if its going to ruin my gun. Thanks for any input.

6. -RUNNR

-RUNNR Insanely truthful

As long as you thoroughly clean, and I do mean CLEAN the rifle after every session you'll be fine. There are even special cleaners/soulvants made for corrosive ammo.

7. itchiban

itchiban Guest

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

yeah, that solvent? it's called ammonia.