MMA Don't flame me for asking this v.UFC/Pride vs. other venues

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Falconer, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I have been a UFC fan forever and I even trained at an NHB gym for a brief while when I actually lived by one.

So here's my question:

Why is it that when I see something that's not Pride or UFC, such as WEC or whatever, it always looks more "brutal?"

Like, I know that UFC and Pride fighters are the best in the world, but their matches look more controlled or something. Is what I'm noticing just reflecting a difference in skill? Is it maturity or something? In UFC and Pride do they just control their aggression better?

2. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

tryign not to flame, but if you think WEC is more brutal than Pride you are blind.

different orgs have different rules, have shows in different countries with different laws, etc...
    WEC is the same rules as UFC, so what you may be seeing is a lot of things. More of a "drive to win" attitude than a "not to lose" attitude, more hungry, less skilled oponents, etc.

just depends what you think brutal is i guess.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Maybe brutal was the wrong word.

I don't know how to describe it. Maybe the fighters in the lower venues just seem more crazy or something.

4. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Less skilled fighters maybe have less control and it looks more wild and vicious to the trained eye?

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I gotcha, then you are 100% correct. I would call them "Wreckless". Which can be a good thing for viewers, but I tend to view fights as Renzo describes. Liek a balet, a great skilled fight doesnt need blood or a KO, those you will rarely ever see in the smaller shows.