MMA Dong-Hyun Kim trains 10 hours a day *PICS*

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, May 10, 2008.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Translation by mdhan from Subfighter
    - From the doctor that ran Kim's MRI tests:

"He has no problems whatsoever that would prevent him from fighting in the UFC. His physical condition is very sound. He has some mild rhinits, but it is within normal limits and doesn't require treatment."

- From the doctor that ran his ultrasonographic and hormone-related tests:

"It's absolutely necessary for sports medicine" (on the strict testing standards required by the UFC)

"Kim is very healthy both in terms of physical condition and hormonal health, and is absolutely fit for participating in a fighting event."

[​IMG]

- Kim recently came back from Japan, where he trained at Wajyutsu Keisyukai with Yushin Okami and co., and is currently training in Team M.A.D. He is now focused on cutting weight.

"I was able to have quality training (in Japan) because Wajyutsu Keishukai has a great fighter in Yushin Okami as well as tall fighters like Hidetaka Monma."

[​IMG]

There he is besides Yushin Okami, who is only a inch taller or so but one of the biggest middleweights in the game

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

[​IMG]
    INTERVIEW (an older interview conducted in late April)

[​IMG]

Q: Until when will you train in Japan?
    A: I am going to leave Japan on April 29. I had to leave about a week earlier because there was a change in schedule.

Q: Do you have any difficulty in being alone in Japan?
    A: There are a lot of sparring partners which is great, but there's no one to take care of my striking. If I had to pick a drawback in training here, it'd be that there aren't that many people to hold the mitts for me.

Q: You are training at Wajyutsu Keisyukai, which is quite a respected camp in Japan.
    A: They are the creators of Wajyutsu. They have a unique system for grappling training and technique. Yushin Okami, who's currently in the UFC, and Kaoru Uno who used to fight in HERO'S are members of this camp. There are a lot of quality fighters fighting in different organizations including Keita Nakamura and Kuniyoshi Hironaka, who both fought in the UFC. Not only that, but fighters from this team can always be found in every ranking of organizations like Shooto and Pancrase. They also run a cage fighting event called Cage Force. It's quite big and attracts a lot of quality fighters. Hidetaka Monma, Eiji Mitsuoka, and Yoshihiro Akiyama all come here to train as well.

Q: Do you have a special training regimen for the UFC?
    A: The nice thing about training here is that there are a lot of sparring partners. The grappling here is at a high level so it helps a lot. I'm working a lot on practicing my elbows. Since Wajyutsu Keisyukai holds a cage fighting event, guys here never stop and keep pushing even when they're aginst the wall during grappling sessions.

I used to train at Grabaka's gym but training there from 3 to 6 and then going over to Wajyutsu Keisyukai at 7 caused some problems on my schedule. I would go easy during my sessions at Grabaka fearing it would affect my training at Wajyutsu Keisyukai, but then a lot of times I was already drained when I got to Wajyutsu Keisyukai. So now I only train at Wajyutsu Keisyukai becuase training at both gyms affected the efficiency of my training. During the day I train alone, working on my conditioning with things like running, interval training, and circuit trianing.

Q: Are you close to Yushin Okami? It looked like he was giving you some tips during training.
    A: He takes good care of me for the most part. When I trained at Wajyutsu Keisyukai before where I had 2-hour sessions, I was matched up with him for an hour. We would train with each other because there aren't that many big guys in the team, and especially when it came to wrestling, there really wasn't anyone good enough for me except Yushin Okami. It was the same for Okami too. But Yushin broke his hand during his last fight and isn't able to train at the moment, which is unfortunate. But he still gives me some tips when I train.

Q: How is Yoshihiro Akiyama?

A: He helped me out a great deal when I first came here and was unfamiliar with everything. He introduced me to a lot of people and bout me drinks and basically takes good care of me. I had a light striking sparring session with him before and thought he had some heavy hands. He hits well and has good instincts.

Q: You will be fighting in the UFC's welterweight division. How does it feel?
    A: Ryo Chonan and Akihiro Gono, who've fought previously in PRIDE are in the welterweight division too. I feel a little anxious.

Q: Speaking of Gono, his nickname in the UFC is "The Japanese Sensation." Will your nickname be "The Korean Sensation?"
    A: Someone visited my personal website and gave me the nickname "The Stun Gun." He explained that my opponents look stunned as if they'd been attacked by a stun gun when I punch them, hence the nickname. I think it's a unique nickname and I like it. I'm not too fond of my old nickname "The Korean Nogueira." I don't like imitating other fighters. Guys at my gym call me "Ant Hell." (not really an awkward translation - it's a very weird and unusual nickname in Korean too :? ). People hate it when they roll with me on the ground. I feel that too when I roll with guys in Japan as well. (laughs)

Q: How about "The Machine Gun?"
    A: I'm not really that good at throwing combinations, and I'll be the first to admit that my striking doesn't look pretty. I'm just good at hitting my target.

Q: Do you see yourself fighting Akihiro Gono or Ryo Chonan?
    A: I trained with Gono at Grabaka, and he was nice to me while I was there. He had a lot of nice things to say about me when he did commentary at DEEP. It's hard to imagine Asian fighters fighting each other in the UFC. I don't think it'll happen unless they become top fighters in the weight class. I'm confident that I'll do well against Georges St. Pierre. He'll most likely play it safe when fighting a newcomer and take the fight to the ground, but I'm confident in my takedown defense as well as my ground game.

Q: Have you heard that Kuniyoshi Hironaka received a bonus at a UFC Fight Night event? Akihiro Gono got a bonus as well.
    A: I heard Hironaka got over $70,000. I'm eyeing the bonus too. It's a no-brainer (laughs.) Everyone looks to get it. Getting it might even be better than getting a win (laughs.) I think it's great that they give out bonuses. Everyone in the dark bouts will be looking to get the bonus.

Q: Buy me a drink if you get the bonus.
    A: I will (laughs.)

Q: What is your impression of your opponent Jason Tan?
    A: I found two of his fights and watched them both, but I'm not really analyzing him in-depth. He had totally different styles in the two fights I saw. I usually analyze my opponents a lot but a lot of times I end up playing my opponents' game when I do. I think a good approach is to be prepared yet let the fight flow naturally. If the fight doesn't go as expected and you can't do what you prepared for, you're in trouble. I learned this first-hand. I really studied Hidehiko Hasegawa and analyzed his game for the DEEP title fight, and I thought he'd look to take the fight to the ground for sure, but he came swinging with his less-than-spectacular striking and that really caught me off guard. I think I learned a lot more from this fight than from any of my wins.

Q: Speaking of Hasegawa, he's no slouch. He has something in him that's hard to put a finger on.
    A: I was surprised he went the distance against Hayato Sakurai on New Year's Eve. I have one win and a draw against him but people only remember the draw (laughs.)

Q: Wajyutsu Keisyukai runs Cage Force, so you must have some tricks for fighting in a cage. Is the training different?
    A: You have to keep moving even when you're put against the wall or corner. And we're working hard on not throwing soccer kicks. I sometimes feel myself almost throwing a soccer kick. Even if I manage to avoid throwing one, I automatically feel the urge whenever I see an opportunity. I must be careful. I once made the mistake of throwing a soccer kick in a fight where it was banned, and had the fight - which I was clearly winning - stopped. I was telling myself not to kick, but my foot was already in my opponent's face.

3. Sammo

Sammo New Member

4. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

:bowdown::bowdown:

finally

5. his face looks like an easter island statue

6. Kuet

Kuet New Member

is this the guy that won his fight via DQ ?? Who is he fighting and when

7. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member