Done with Apple (8800GT in pre2008 Mac Pro)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fedge, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Fedge

Fedge New Member

Long story short:
    I bought a Mac Pro in August of 06. It was my dream machine. A quad-core, dual-boot monster. I bought it knowing I could upgrade the components (because it was, you know, x86 based). Fast forward to today. Apple sells the new Nvidia 8800GT upgrade kit for the new 08 mac pros, but they're not available for the pre 08 machines.

Bullshit, I say. PCIe 2.0 is backwards compatible, so no problem there. There's talk of it being EFI64, but even that can be addressed by a simple firmware update. Currently I'm running the POS ATI1900XT that overheats, and artifacts under the slightest amount of stress.

If Apple can't be bothered to support their customers (been a mac user since '89), then I can't be bothered to support them.

I may get a PC 8800GT and try to flash the ROM, but it certainly won't be putting money in Apple's pocket. What say the rest of you?

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

:mb:

$5 for your mac pro?

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

pfft... $6 shipped

4. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil OT Supporter

pish, $6.01 and I'll buy him a sub son

5. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

yea, it is pretty crappy. There is a lot of angry customers on this one, it should not take that much to make an upgrade for the previous mac pros. I've got one with the 7300GT :(

6. skolen

skolen Guest

I bought a dual 2.3Ghz G5 PPC back in May of '05. A year later they drop the PPC architecture and replace the PowerMac line. Having bought one of their relatively top of the line spec'd machines (highest I could go was 2.7Ghz) I had no where to go upgrade wise from that point.

But here we are going on 3 years later and it still does everything I need it to do perfectly fine.

Why not replace the card with another that works in that machine?

7. verbal

verbal Active Member

$25 + shipping.

8. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

The only think you should get from Apple now is an av.

9. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Cry about it. AGP 8x cards are backwards compatible with AGP 4x but that doesn't mean AGP 8x cards will work in my G4 AGP. Sorry but that's how Apple has always been. Being a user since '89 you should know they do this kinda stuff. They never make it easy to upgrade, they want you to buy a new machine.

10. Fedge

Fedge New Member

I'd LOVE to. I was trying to replace it with the 8800GT, hence my complaint. :) But there's not another card out there. The Quadro, but it's a workstation card--horrible for daily tasks/gaming (and it's $1500!)

11. ady

ady New Member

I think the big issues this time is that they are using standard PC hardware, you can have a hackintosh running an 8800GT in OSX, some mac pro owners were told they would be able to upgrade the video card in the future by apple employees before purchase and the only technical limitation appears to be Mac Pros sold earlier than september 2007 have an older EFI firmware. There are also an abundance of issues with the X1900XT, not to mention it is a 2 year old video card.

Incidently the new 2600XT works fine in older Mac Pros as its bootdriver is 32bit. (or something along those lines)

I could see them resolving this as it appears to be a simple firmware update, and they have a pissed of Blizzard breathing down their neck. I doubt anything will happen until they have enough supply for new Mac Pro buyers though (hence them calling to cancel orders where they can). Infact that last bit might be why the situation is as it is.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  12. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Relax, I bet the next firmware update for the older Mac Pros will fix the problem.

13. ady

ady New Member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4735098&postcount=467