MIL Done and done.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KilgoreTrout19D, Oct 16, 2006.

1. KilgoreTrout19D

KilgoreTrout19D New Member

So I've been out of the Army since June now. I don't miss it to much. I miss the friends and being a Cav Scout, but that's about it. Thankfuly I have school and just got a new job. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyone else just get out and having success? I know there are a lot of Veterans out there that think they can't make it in the civilian world. Don't lose hope though. There are plenty of things waiting for you.

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I didn't have a problem "making it" in the civilian world, I just hated being a civilian. Much happier being in the military.

3. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Same here but moreso being done with being a crew chief.:hs:

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

You will miss it more down the road.

You will make much more money in civilian life, but you will never have what you had in the military.

5. KilgoreTrout19D

Money isn't the issue and it never was. I left the Army because I didn't like how things were changing. I also felt that there was no way to escape the worthless leadership portrayed by certain individuals.

I think the main reason I left, is because I don't believe in fighting for the certain causes going on in the world today. Plus it was time to just move on, I want to experience something new.

True I might not have "what I had in the military" ever again. But I think that is what is so nice about it, now that I think back on my time in service. Now is the chance to put all of those experiences to use. Maybe it will be through leadership or just self motivation.

6. teep

teep New Member

For those of you that want out would you mind saying why? I'm real curious because right now I really want in.

7. whitecouch

I don't even know where to start. I have some of the closest friends I could ever want but I had that before I came in. Honestly I work too damn hard and never see anything from it. My job blows. I know a lot of people who have more rewarding jobs and really enjoy their time in the military. Whatever you do if the bottom line says Crew Chief, don't sign.

8. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

all this cant wait to get out and I cant wait to get in

9. whitecouch

your day will come ;)

10. KilgoreTrout19D

I don't regret being in the Army one bit. Go in and learn for yourself. Do a couple years if you really want to. Just don't let it get you down.

11. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I almost went into the Army Reserve as a helicopter crew chief. Being able to spread death and destruction from the door gun, as well as having access to some kickass flight time, were the biggest attractions for me. The only reason why I didn't do it was my memories of working around crew chiefs in the air force. Those guys had the motherfucking never ending job.

12. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

That was my reason for leaving. Things changing too much. I got to my active duty unit (support company in a Special Forces unit). Everybody cool, friendly and the guys in my company welcomed me with open arms. As the time went by (I was there 3.5 years), things changed. As the command and NCO leadership would change, so would the way things were done. It was like we had the "new sherrif in town" treatment every time we got a new 1SG or CO. PT formation was at 0630 and be in the office at 09. Then we'd have an 0845 formation for almost no reason. Lunch would be from 1130 to 1300. Then it changed to 1200 formation and lunch till 1300. Before I could go to the PAC office if I needed to start an allotment or any other personnel issues. Just stop in whenever you had a free moment. Then it was changed to having to go through your section sergeant and they would pass the info up. Often taking 2 days for your request to get to the PAC office. The Colonel passed down a policy that everybody had to take a PT test every 6 months and pass with 60% across the board. A new CO then passed his own policy that record PT tests would be taken quarterly and you must have 70%. If you didn't make 70%, you weren't flagged, but put on the remedial PT program. The unit went from being an enjoyable place to be stationed to something like a living hell. Thats why I left...

13. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I can only wish I was getting out. :(

14. KilgoreTrout19D

That's funny to hear coming from support for SF. One would think that people would be more realistic in such a unit. Things were just as bad down on the combat lines.

15. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

How is this even possible? My fucking head is about to explode. Hearing something like that is a once in a lifetime event.